• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 2 controller questions

2 controller questions

1) can controller #125 or 126 (or whichever one) be used to \"mono-ize\" a LEG patch the same as maestro tools?

2) what exactly is the difference between using controller #11 and using the mod wheel with an EXP patch?

Re: 2 controller questions

hmmm 125/126? Not sure waht you mean. You mean to colapse the stereo field?

I dont think so....unless its a complete MIDI standard like CC 11...if it is, I never knew that. So I dont hinkit is

As for the difference between CC11 and Using Mod Wheel EXP

The EXP patches actually give the \"real\" dynamic feel of instruments going from Piano to Forte, as compared to a CC11 which is jsut volume

EXP patches Fade between P to MP to MF to F samples to give a \"true\" dynamic range.

all this quotation mark crap means is that it sounds MUCH better

Really...I am an Idiot

Since you say \"\'mono-ize\' . . . the same as MaestroTools\", I\'m guessing you mean \"mono-mode,\" not monophonic (or monaural). The MIDI spec does use controllers 122 to 127 for channel mode messages, but if that\'s what you mean, the answer is \"no.\" One of the reasons MaestroTools was necessary was because GigaStudio doesn\'t yet support mono mode -- we had to add that feature in the utility. In other words, without MaestroTools mono mode doesn\'t exist.

Alright, KingI.

I thought I was using this library correctly, but now you\'ve given me doubts.

I use an old Yamaha KX76 for input, and the mod wheel produces CC#1 data by default (as it should, according to the MIDI spec). However, I noticed in Digital Performer\'s Insert CC menu, and on the cheat sheet printed on the front of my KX76, that MIDI Expression has it\'s own CC number, #11.

Now, here\'s the rub: the GOS manual tells me to use the \"Mod Wheel\" to control the EXP patches, which is what I have been doing. My Mod Wheel input shows up in DP as CC#1. Have I only been controlling volume?

Should I be using CC#11 with the EXP patches to get the most realistic dynamic changes?

Nope you\'re doing it correctly

t is a bit confusing I admit. CC11 is usually called \"epression\" control, but all it really does is control volume. I dont believe Gigastudio allows for layer volume to be controlled by CC11 which is why GOS uses The Mod Wheel to control ITS \"expression\". So use the Mod Wheel

Really...I am an Idiot

thanks, tom.

1) the midi spec i was looking at for 125 or 126, did only say \"mono\" or \"poly\". i suppose i mis-extrapolated the subsequent syllables.

2) with crescendos, i\'ve been using cc#7 to go from 0-90, and THEN using the mod-wheel from there (from 0 to whatever). the reverse for diminuendos.

based on your suggestions, i could then use cc#11 to boost or diminish to overall level. (this is the opposite of your actual suggestion, but i\'m so used to doing fades in cc#7 for other libraries.)

am i on the right track?

in other words, are cc#7 and cc#11 doing the same thing? (I know they work independently.)

is this true of non GOS libraries?

Keep in mind that our \"expression\" control, or \"EXP,\" is outside the MIDI spec. Mod wheel (cc#1) EXP controls the transitions between crossfaded layers on designated instruments. Cc#11 (MIDI expression) controls the volume level within an instrument. Here\'s how it\'s meant to work in the MIDI spec: The overall level of an instrument is set with cc#7 (MIDI volume). Continuous dynamic changes in volume, on the other hand, are controlled with cc#11. The advantage of separating these is that if you have drawn a lot of crescendos and diminuendos into your part and later decide to make an adjustment in the overall level of the instrument (cc#7), those dynamic changes within the instrument (cc#11) remain intact. With a GOS EXP instrument they are best used as follows:

1. Use cc#7 to set the overall level of the instrument.
    2. Use mod wheel EXP to play in realistic expression. Because the instrument crossfades between real p, mp, mf, and f layers this not only controls volume changes, but also timbre and vibrato intensity changes that occur naturally when real players play louder or softer.
    3. Use cc#11 to touch-up continuous volume changes. (e.g. Since the EXP control only allows you to get as soft as the players at the original session, if you want a diminuendo to \"disappear\" into silence, you could use cc#11 to accomplish that.)

P.S. In re-reading my first post above I see that in my haste to accommodate common usage of the word \"monophonic\" in terms of stereo and mono, I only succeeded in making it more confusing. The correct word for single channel audio is \"monaural.\" Even though \"monophonic\" is often used interchangably with that term, it shouldn\'t be. \"Monophonic\" and \"polyphonic,\" correctly used, refer to the number of notes playing at a time: Monophonic - one note at a time; polyphonic - more than one note at a time. \"Mono mode\" concerns the monophonic/polyphonic aspect of an instrument. Clear as mud, right?

[This message has been edited by Tom Hopkins (edited 01-28-2002).]

They both control volume but it\'s best to use cc#11 for the reasons I stated. And, yes, this would be true for all other libraries as well.

Dorset, UK

Wouldn\'t it be wonderful if CC11 could be used as attenuation controller for the Xfades in EXP? - not an option at present. ??Maestro Tools update??

Go Back to forum