• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Masking samples

Share/Bookmark

Masking samples

In the same part 1st Violins EXP LEG sometimes the masking samples are playing, sometimes they are not. This phenomenon is independent of either speed or note length. Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Re: Masking samples

Jeannot,

Could you supply more information on what\'s happening? Are you saying that if you depress the sustain pedal for several notes the masking samples are intermittent? How are you monitoring the action of the masking samples? (Plus anything else you can think of.)

Tom

Hi Tom.

Well, it happened exactly the way I described. One certain notes with CC64 some masking samples played, other did not. After listening and watching this - on the MIDI keyboard in GS, I shut down and posted this message. After I fired the system up again, everything is normal, I have not been able to reproduce the same behavior.
    I am aware the the keyboard in GS does not have enough keys to represent all the masking samples.
    If it happens again, I\'ll post again, hopefully with more details, as I am now more aware that this could happen and I look ( listen ) for it.

Thank you.
    Jeannot.

Tom,

This almost sounds like a problem with MaestroTools. Every once in awhile I\'m unable to change patches. I have to shutdown MT and restart it and the problem disappears.

Jeannot-
    Thanks for posting this. It may be a seldom appearing bug in Maestro, and I have the feeling that if it is then it will also be very difficult to reproduce But definitely let me know if and when you see it again. It sounds vaguely similar to an intermittant problem Haydn was having? Jim, it seemed like I remembered a strange bug appearing for you, but the patch change problem doesn\'t sound like what I recall off the top of my head. Am I correct, or have you just had the patch change issue (btw, could you let me know more about that issue?).

Hi Jeff, Tom, Haydn

Thanks for your input. I believe I have narrowed it down to the midiyoke ports or drivers. On my \"old\" system: 98SE, GS160, LA,Maestro,RME, P2, 256Mb I got a polyphony without pops and clicks of about 80 voices, rock stable. On me \"new\" system XPpro, GS160, LA, MaestroXP beta, midiyoke drivers,
    Audiophle 2496, P4 1.8, 1536 Mb sometimes I get a polyphony of 160 and sometimes I get pops and clicks with 40 voices.
    This happens most often with tracks that use EXP instruments, when I convert the CC#1 data to either CC#10 or CC#11 data, the problem is less frequent.
    I hope this narrows it down.
    Thank you for your help.

Sincerely.
    Jeannot Welter.

I have forgotten to mention that since I installed the midiyoke drivers the loading time for GS and Maestro has quintupled.
    Sorry.
    Jeannot.

Jeannot,

Actually I\'m using both. My machine is setup as dual boot. I\'m still using 98 for already in work pieces. Using XP to test how the XP versions work including the beta of Maestro Tools. Unfortunately, I\'m having some shutdown issues with Giga in XP yet. Once XP is working fine I\'ll continue using XP for just music and will then upgrade 98 to XP for Internet, Quicken, Word, etc.

Haydn,

I do not have any problems with GS under XP. I ran some additional tests with a heavily orchestrated piece that I wrote some time ago:
    98SE, Logic Audio, Maestro, Marblesound, GS160: clicks and pops at 80+voices.
    XP, Logic Audio, Maestro, Midiyoke, GS160: clicks and pops (intermittently) at 40 voices.
    XP, Logic Audio, Nemesys out, GS160: 109 voices without any clicks and pops.
    It seems to me that the only bad guy in the chain is the Midiyoke port.
    As the Marblesound drivers worked well under 98, I am sure that Jeff will come out with a version that performs equally as well under XP.
    When I first installed Midiyoke I worked on chamber music, no problem there.

Hope this helps, any comments would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Jeannot,

Just curious, what function does midiyoke serve for you?

Go Back to forum