• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS used on TV show / Ballet

Share/Bookmark

GOS used on TV show / Ballet

Hello GOS forum!

Just wanted to let you know that I used lots of GOS on next week\'s episode of \"Angel\". (WB network, Mon Feb 4th in the United States, Episode title: \"Waiting in the Wings\").

This episode called for lots of Ballet music. The score is not entirely GOS, but GOS was the big helper in terms of expression and realism. I used a lot of the Grand Detaches, especially when there\'s a big expressive melody line. I looped them by staggering the samples. Violin sections EXP came in very handy, and the full orchestra pizzes proved to be the most realistic of my libraries used.

I also used the cello patches extensively: the EXP, the portatos, martelle etc: all the short bows get a mention somewhere!

Elsewhere I did use a real cello for the solo lines. Other string libraries were Roland, Prosonus for mutes and marcato, and the SLIGHTEST hint of KH, chamber violin patch only.

On top of this, occasionally we went to real orchestra recordings of a ballet, so the orchestra had to crossfade to or from it. At other times I was called upon to sweeten or add melody to real orchestra backing for a short time. GOS was the only library realistic sounding enough to pull that task off successfully.

There\'s a scene with a ballerina on stage near the end dancing to a slow legato melody, and soon after with a loud aggressive melody that work extremely well because of the Grand Detaches.

Thanks Gary!!

[This message has been edited by Robert Kral (edited 01-30-2002).]

Re: GOS used on TV show / Ballet

PatS:
    I know what you mean. I have a 4 year old daughter who loves to see what Daddy\'s up to. But when she darts through the door of the studio I often need to check what\'s on screen!! But anyway, interestingly in this episode we don\'t see vampires, though it\'s not without adult content. All the dance stuff is fine for young viewing.

[This message has been edited by Robert Kral (edited 01-30-2002).]

PatS

Thanks, Robert, for your response. I\'m looking forward to the new episode.

Pat

Sounds great Robert...can\'t wait to see it! I also couldn\'t help noticing how many hoops you had to jump through to use the Grand Detache samples which are among my favorites in the library...does anyone know if there are any planned updates that\'ll extend these so we don\'t have to go crazy with staggered lines and such? I think I\'ve seen that requested several times before...

Regards,
    Scott

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    [B]Hello GOS forum!

snip...I used a lot of the Grand Detaches, especially when there\'s a big expressive melody line. I looped them by staggering the samples.

PatS

Thanks, Robert, for the heads up. I\'ll make sure I pop in the video tape; my kids are still up then and tend to freak out at the sight of creepy-looking things, even when they are called \"Skip.\" You must have blast composing for that show. BTW, my 8-year-old daughter has been in ballet for 3 years; are the ballet sequences acceptable (not too scary) for kids her age?

Pat

[This message has been edited by PatS (edited 01-30-2002).]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that in-depth explanation! I\'d love to see that episode to hear what you\'ve done, but God knows when it\'ll be broadcast in the UK.

Anyway, it\'s comforting to know that a working composer like yourself is achieving great results with GOS.

Regards,

Chris

Yes they have. The process will involve staggering them to get the right loop: they can\'t simply be looped because the sustain portion is too short.

In the mean time, I would play my melodies etc, then copy it 3 octaves higher, move that copy 3 eighth notes over and I\'d usually be fine. Then copy that copy down 3 octaves and do the same until I had the length I needed. This is with the ALT patch where the alternate bow is found 3 octaves higher on the keyboard (same pitch).

Re: the Ballet: if you get to see the episode, the opening section after the curtain rises is real orchestra. But MOST of the rest of the ballet is mostly GOS. The very very fast passages toward the end are not samples either, although the broad melody over the top of it is the grand detaches.

Actually they can be looped without staggering

it just sounds like poo poo

I\'ve done the extensions for the GR Detaches, but there are some samples that need to be addressed and adjusted.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Speed:
    I also couldn\'t help noticing how many hoops you had to jump through to use the Grand Detache samples which are among my favorites in the library...does anyone know if there are any planned updates that\'ll extend these so we don\'t have to go crazy with staggered lines and such?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they have begun trying to loop them now .

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 02-02-2002).]

Robert,

Thanks for the tip re: extending the Grand Detache\'s.

Go Back to forum