• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS plus AO, is this a good idea?

Share/Bookmark

GOS plus AO, is this a good idea?

Hello all,
    I\'m new to Gigastudio, and I\'m looking to get
    a couple of orchestral libraries to provide a good solid base of sounds (mainly classical)
    I was wondering if Advanced Orchestra and Garritan Orchestral Strings would be a good choice.
    I have heard good things about AO in general, but many people complain about the strings being sampled too close to the mic, and other issues. On the other hand, I just listened to all the demos at Gary Garritan\'s site, and I\'m completely blown away by the incredible quality of his library. I would appreciate some input from the users that have experience with these libraries, because I\'m haunted by indecission right now...
    I also posted this question in the general sample libraries section of the forum, my apologies if this isn\'t supposed to be Ok. Just want to make sure that I gather as much input as possible...
    Thanks in advance!

Re: GOS plus AO, is this a good idea?

I am very new to this too, and it\'s very difficult to make a decision...

The AO strings are the worst on the market. The brass and woodwinds are quite good though.

I\'d like to encourage you to search this forum. A lot has been discussed in older topics on the pros and cons of AO as well as on tips and tricks how to integrate AO with other libraries. This forum really has tons of interesting topics!

BTW, I have AO. My opinion: I don\'t like the brass so much, although the solo trumpet is nice and warm. WW\'s are really useful, especially when mixed with other libraries to have different instruments within the sections. Percussion is rather limited and always recognizable. Some string patches are not so bad, but overall they are limited (especially when compared to Gos).

My advice: if you are low on budget, start with AO and buy a few single instruments from Dan Dean or XSample. If budget permits, go for GOS, Dan Dean and XSample. By then you will be hooked on samples...

Some words of advice that might make you feel more at ease:

You can\'t really go wrong with AO as a starter library. I think it\'s worth the price. It is a large library and although it has many weaknesses, I don\'t think you\'ll regret purchasing it, especially as you\'re not buying it for the strings. Layering the brass and crossfading between loud and soft sustains it is actually quite powerful when boosted in the mix. Another cool trick is doubling loud horn passages with the horn section staccatos for real bite in the attack.

Its a very big library and I think you\'ll enjoy it, as it really does cover a lot of ground. It\'s not of \"xsample\" calliber, but it is a library I think everyone should have.

If you don\'t buy it now, you should buy it later. So you might as well buy it now!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    I\'d like to encourage you to search this forum. A lot has been discussed in older topics on the pros and cons of AO as well as on tips and tricks how to integrate AO with other libraries. This forum really has tons of interesting topics!

BTW, I have AO. My opinion: I don\'t like the brass so much, although the solo trumpet is nice and warm. WW\'s are really useful, especially when mixed with other libraries to have different instruments within the sections. Percussion is rather limited and always recognizable. Some string patches are not so bad, but overall they are limited (especially when compared to Gos).

My advice: if you are low on budget, start with AO and buy a few single instruments from Dan Dean or XSample. If budget permits, go for GOS, Dan Dean and XSample. By then you will be hooked on samples...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Peter,

Yeah, I know AO isn\'t so good as a standalone library for strings, but I thought that the Brass section was stronger. Anyway, I picked up the Prosonus Orchestral (Price factor heavily weighted, and now I have an extra $500 to put for GOS and probably some DDSW)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    Some words of advice that might make you feel more at ease:

You can\'t really go wrong with AO as a starter library. I think it\'s worth the price. It is a large library and although it has many weaknesses, I don\'t think you\'ll regret purchasing it, especially as you\'re not buying it for the strings. Layering the brass and crossfading between loud and soft sustains it is actually quite powerful when boosted in the mix. Another cool trick is doubling loud horn passages with the horn section staccatos for real bite in the attack.

Its a very big library and I think you\'ll enjoy it, as it really does cover a lot of ground. It\'s not of \"xsample\" calliber, but it is a library I think everyone should have.

If you don\'t buy it now, you should buy it later. So you might as well buy it now!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Robert,

Thanks for pointing out the good qualities about AO. I\'m going to hold off on getting it, because I ordered the Prosonus Orchestral yesterday. Really, $300 vs. $800 is a big difference, and for a first orchestral library, the Prosonus might cut it just fine.

Remember that I\'m very new not just to sampling, but composition and orchestration as well. I\'m the kind of guy that always had classical pieces going on in my head when I was a kid (not existing pieces, just imaginary ones), so you can imagine how excited all this is, to be able to put my ideas at work without hiring a real orchestra.

I\'m not completely discarding AO in the future, because it seems that it is a good complimentary library when you need to fill in and layer with other samples, but right now...I\'d rather save me $500 and put them for GOS and Dan Dean wind libraries.

Thanks for your help.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    I like some of the XSample stuff, but certainly not all. I think the problem with XSample is that they don\'t always hire good players to make their libraries. For instance, the trumpet player simply couldn\'t hit high notes that a professional player should have no problem hitting. The demos for the XSample libraries, however, were very skillfully done, and do a good job of hiding the weaknesses. Don\'t be fooled.

I\'ve got all the AO stuff, and find lots of it very useful. I\'m looking forward to obtaining the GS stuff (especially the Garritan library) as soon as it becomes useable on a Mac (hopefully with Unity GS-1 Version 3.0).

IMO, you can never have a big enough sampler library. No matter how good a library is, you\'ll get tired of it after you\'ve used it a lot. You get to know the sounds too well, and I\'m afraid that familiarity breeds contempt. You\'ll ache for a fresh performance (different players, different instruments, different hall, different recording method, etc.).

People that record and assemble these libraries will be busy for a LONG time.

Lee Blaske

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Lee,

I agree with you in that you can never have enough libraries.

One of the things that I have noticed right away in this forum is that many people have unrealistic expectations about orchestral sampling, by demmanding unfairly that a single library cut it in all situations.
    There\'s something in orchestral sound that some people call \"color\", which is a quality of the sound that distinguishes it from any other sound (I mean even using the same instrument and pitch), and to be honest, it seems impossible to have a library cover the whole spectrum.

Note, however, that you can always manipulate the \"color\" with filters, layering, etc...
    That\'s why I agree with everyone here that you can\'t have enough libraries, because it adds to the sonic possibilities of your virtual orchestra.

Anyways, good luck with getting GOS and as many libraries available ASAP on your MAC.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    The AO strings are the worst on the market. The brass and woodwinds are quite good though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Simon,

Yeah, many people, if not all, agree with your statement about AO.

I picked up the Prosonus, just for the price difference with AO, and because I liked what I heard in the demos (I\'m very skeptical about the strings though, did you hear the Barber demo posted by Donnie comparing the new Prosonus library to the old Roland one? )

I\'ll let everybody know how things go with the Prosonus, thanks for your reply.

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 02-12-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    [QUOTE]...I\'d rather save me $500 and put them for GOS and Dan Dean wind libraries.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

fyi: I was trawling the web the other day and saw that www.jacksmusic has specials on the Dan Dean libraries (I think around $400 for woodwind with a message saying that if you call there might be a further dicsount; but don\'t quote me on that). Never used them either so this isn\'t necessarily an endorsement, but their prices on Dan Dean\'s stuff are great. http://www.jacksmusicstore.com/computerprod.html

Go Back to forum