• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1GB in W98 or 1,5GB in XP?

Share/Bookmark

1GB in W98 or 1,5GB in XP?

Any of you who have any experience regarding which will make me able to load most samples - using V-Stack with 1GB under W98 or V-Stack using 1,5GB under WinXP? This is concerning NI plugins (Kontakt/Kompakt).

Re: 1GB in W98 or 1,5GB in XP?

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Any of you who have any experience regarding which will make me able to load most samples - using V-Stack with 1GB under W98 or V-Stack using 1,5GB under WinXP? This is concerning NI plugins (Kontakt/Kompakt).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t know how useful this will be but...
    I just installed V-Stack today getting ready for EWQLSO. My PCs are running XP and have 1.5Gb RAM. I did a quick test converting the EW Steinway B .GIG file into Kontakt format. The sample folder created for the samples was 1.59Gb. I loaded an instance of Kontakt in V-Stack then loaded the piano which took 99Mb of system RAM according to Kontakt\'s memory usage gauge. I then loaded another instance of Kontakt and loaded the piano again until it had been loaded 12 times. When I tried the 13th time I got warning which said... \"Physical memory is getting low...\" I went ahead anyway and tried loading Kontakt and the piano a 14th time. V-Stack crashed.

So Kontakt was able to load just over 19Gb of Samples using 1188Mb of memory. I\'d have probably squeezed a bit more in had I not tried to load such a big instrument when memory was getting tight.

well remember Marsdy, with these streamers its not really about the size in gigabytes of a sampleset, its the amount of samples that it ahs to buffer.

A piano is the exact best example, if I chop off all the sustains, or make them loop early in the samples, I can cut a piano library into 1/3 its size (even less), and it would STILL load exactly the same in Kontakt with the same buffer settings.

However If I have two samples (jsut two audio files, 2 notes) each at 1 gigabyte a pop, it would use a ton less memory than a standard piano lib.

Thanks King

I missed that part of the equation... it\'s not the size it\'s the number of samples.

At least I know my new memory works.

How many PC\'s are you running Dave?

Thanks for the answers here. I guess I should try running XP on one of the machines.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Thanks for the answers here. I guess I should try running XP on one of the machines.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought you\'d rather die than install XP? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum