• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intense Celli - any suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Intense Celli - any suggestions?

I was wondering if any of you have been able to get a really intense, lush cello section using GOS.

I have layered the grand detaché samples with the sustain vibrato although feel that the sound is too thin, particularly in the higher part of the celli register (which is where a really intense, amazing sound should be possible).

The cello layer that I have created seems to be the weakest of the detaché and sustain layers, viola one of the strongest, and the violins great (again until you get to the extremes of the register).

Is there anything that anyone can recommend doing to improve the high registers?

I own GOS, AO, and Ultimate Strings.... any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark UK (edited 03-14-2002).]

Re: Intense Celli - any suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark UK:
    I was wondering if any of you have been able to get a really intense, lush cello section using GOS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mark,

Can you find any live orchestral performance that might illustrate what you are trying to achieve? I\'m asking this because sometimes a picture says a thousand words, you know? All strings do thin out at their top registers and that\'s when you have to start thinking about the rest of the orchestral balance. There are certain instrument combinations you can use to try to rebalance but it all depends on what you are going for. Adding horns in unison with cellos playing from mid-to-high registers can give you a nice lush, elegant sound. Or maybe instead of horns you can try violas in unison which gives off more aggresive sheen on the top end.. mind you i\'m strictly talking about legato here, detaches and staccatos are whole another thing.. Again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve..
    I\'ve got short demos of horns+cellos and violas+cellos done with miroslav and ultimate strings.. I did them several years ago for testing orchestration but i still find listening to them useful... Let me know if you want to hear them..

fj
    BTW From the little exposure i\'ve had so far to GOS, the cellos on this library are fantastic... you should be able to do some great work with them, i was very impressed by the long and short bowings.. the alternate notes, which miroslav and the rest don\'t have, are a must for more realistic cello passages..

Re: Intense Celli - any suggestions?

Gulliver - thanks and apologies for the delay... the Spanish sun keeps me from the computer this week.

I was thinking along the lines of Richard Strauss \"Ein Heldenlehben\", towards the end of the piece where the violins play the melody, supported by horns chord progressions with a counter melody by the celli and bassoons....

It is such a fantastic part which I just cannot begin to do justice with using the celli layered instrument I am using.

I am certainly not saying that GOS is bad, just that I want to know if any users have been able to tweak the celli (not a matter of orchestration but the actual celli sound) so that I can get somewhat nearer to the celli section I am striving for.

Thanks

Mark

Go Back to forum