• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic, GigaStudio and Garritan Strings

Share/Bookmark

Logic, GigaStudio and Garritan Strings

Could those of using Logic please confirm these steps for seeing the correct Garritan String name in the Logic track list? Thanks in advance. Also, is the following a similar issue in Cubase, for all Cubase users? I\'m using Logic 4.8 PC with Giga 160 2.5 on a separate computer.

1. Assign a GOS program to a specific port/channel in GigaStudio.

2. In Giga, go to Loaded Instruments and look up the Instrument #.

3. In Logic, now make the corresponding port/channel assignment to a specific track.

4. In the Instrument parameter box, check Prg and assign the GOS instrument # to Prg.

5. In the Instrument parameter box, now click once on the word Sub-channel. The Program Names window appears.

6. Go to the matching Instrument # in this GM list. In this example, I picked GOS #6, 1st Vln Harmonics. Key in the name and exit.

7. The correct GOS name should appear in the track list.

Thanks in advance for confirming these steps with me.

------------------
    Peter Alexander
    peter@alexuniv.com
    www.alexuniv.com
    310-559-3779

Re: Logic, GigaStudio and Garritan Strings

hmmm...the way you suggest to do it probably works, though clicking the word sub-channel doesn\'t work for me. It is only there when you have a \"multi-instrument\" anyway, but I wonder what has to be done to make it clickable.

Anyway, the list with the GOS-names that you type in the program name window is only valid for _that_ Gigastudio-project (depending on what instruments you load). Personally I prefer to have an environment-layer with 64 instruments, i.e. 16 (ch.1-16) connected to each Nemesys-MIDI-Port. I named these GigaA01 to GigaA16, GigaB01 - GigaB16 and so on. I can then choose these instruments for every track in the arrange window and use the track name functino to name the track. Example: I load Marcato-Violins to Port 1 /Ch.1 in Giga. In Logic I choose \"GigaA01\" for the track and then name that track \"Marcato-Vionlins\". It is still possible to make program changes (which I hardly ever use with Giga). Of course doing it \"my way\" the instrument name doesn\'t change automatically (because I do not have a program name list), but as I already mentioned: I usually do not work with program changes. When the track is named \"Marcato-Violins\" it is also still possible to change the assigned instrument: Let\'s say I load the marcato violins to port2/ch.2 in Giga, then I can change to \"GigaB02\" in Logic, while keeping the same track name.

Having a dedicated Giga-Layer in the environment also makes it more easy to apply environment objects to the instruments (arpeggiators, delays, transformers....whatever). Just create the object you want and \"plug in the cable\" :-)

In my eyes creating a dedicated program list only makes sense when you work with a synthesizer that has fixed programs or - in the case of Giga - you repeatedly use the same Giga-project (i.e. same instruments loaded), which means that the program changes will always \"hit\" the right instrument/name).

regards
    -timo-

Dear Timo,

Thanks for an excellent answer. You\'re far more advanced in the Environment then I am. Would you mind explaining to me how to set this up, or could I get an .lso from you to study how you did it?

Thanks,

Peter Alexander

------------------
    Peter Alexander
    peter@alexuniv.com
    www.alexuniv.com
    310-559-3779

Peter, you\'ve got mail.

Seperating the 4 Giga Midi Banks over 4 Layer is a great idea and I can see the use for using single instruments instead of multi-instuments for easy patching of modifying objects but I have to disagree with not importing names from Gigasampler into Logic.

I have 4 seperate multi-instruments set up for the 4 seperate midi channel banks in Giga. When I have created the Bank I want to use in Giga I use the command \"export file names to .txt file\", network the patch file over to my MAC with Logic and copy and paste the names into the multi-instrument banks.

I then use the parameter fields in my arrange page to select the program names of the mirrored Gigastudio bank. Although I likewise never actually change programs on the midi channels, by having the program changes at the beginning, every time I pull up the project I know the sounds are going to be there.

Plus it save on all that time (and repetitive use injuries) you would spend typing those names in.

It takes 5 minutes at the beginning of each project and saves hours later on.

[This message has been edited by Wacky (edited 03-25-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timo Heil:
    Wacky,

I do not use the 4 MIDI Banks on 4 Layers, but on only one. What sense would it make to have them on 4 different layers?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Misunderstood you...sorry. To me it does sound a little cleaner than 64 instruments (plus any modifying objects) on one layer, especially when you consider that 4.81 on the MAC side still doesn\'t support the scrolling capabilities of a wheel mouse. With 4 different layers you can have all instruments and objects in a layer visable at once especially on smaller screens and screensets with more than just the enivoronment open.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timo Heil:

As I said: it depends on the kind of project.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. For cue based pieces (what I mostly do) I find it very practical to have all information about instruments and settings used in that cue self-contained in the song. I even sys-ex dump the settings from my PCM91 (or at least have a program change message on a dedicated PCM91 track) so if I ever need to pull up the mix again it is right there. I also save a different giga bank for each cue. If only for archving and the ease of pulling up mixes I find names and program change messages at the beginning of a cue a good idea.

But that is just me.

Wacky,

I do not use the 4 MIDI Banks on 4 Layers, but on only one. What sense would it make to have them on 4 different layers?

As I said: it depends on the kind of project. When I composoe and arrange I tend to throw out and change instruments very often. I usually never work with standard banks (like saying: \"these banks for that kind of track, those banks for that kind of project\"). For me naming the track according to the instrument I have loaded for a specific MIDI port/channel is much easier: when I found the right instrument, I name the track. That\'s all.

If choosing multi-instruments and preparing a program name list is better for you, feel free to do it. It doesn\'t work very well for me.

Hmm, I seem to do this another way. Much preparation work, but once it is done it\'s great.

1. I organize my patches in Gigastudio in Banks. Like Bank 1 = 1. Violins, Bank 2 = 2. violins etc. Each patch will have an unique bank and program number. Then I make a text File and transfer it to my Sequencer computer. In the Logic environment I have 8 MultiInstriments corresponding to the 128 Channels (two dedictaed GS machines)of Gigastudio. In each of this Multi Instrument I copy the patchnames, which will then appear in the event list. Since there are 15 banks in each Multi, this makes 1920 programs, per Multi, which is enough for me.... This file is saved as an Autoload, used for all productions and only changed when some new patches are included or some excluded.

I never check the Instrument parameter box, since I often use more then 30 different patches (program changes) on the same MIDI track/channel. Intead of this I reserve Bar 0
    of my track to put in all info about the first patch, panning, delay, Volume etc.

IGOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter269:
    Could those of using Logic please confirm these steps for seeing the correct Garritan String name in the Logic track list? Thanks in advance. Also, is the following a similar issue in Cubase, for all Cubase users? I\'m using Logic 4.8 PC with Giga 160 2.5 on a separate computer.

3. In Logic, now make the corresponding port/channel assignment to a specific track.

4. In the Instrument parameter box, check Prg and assign the GOS instrument # to Prg.

5. In the Instrument parameter box, now click once on the word Sub-channel. The Program Names window appears.

6. Go to the matching Instrument # in this GM list. In this example, I picked GOS #6, 1st Vln Harmonics. Key in the name and exit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[Hmm, I seem to do this another way. Much preparation work, but once it is done it\'s great.

1. I organize my patches in Gigastudio in Banks. Like Bank 1 = 1. Violins, Bank 2 = 2. violins etc. Each patch will have an unique bank and program number. Then I make a text File and transfer it to my Sequencer computer. In the Logic environment I have 8 MultiInstriments corresponding to the 128 Channels (two dedictaed GS machines)of Gigastudio. In each of this Multi Instrument I copy the patchnames, which will then appear in the event list. Since there are 15 banks in each Multi, this makes 1920 programs, per Multi, which is enough for me.... This file is saved as an Autoload, used for all productions and only changed when some new patches are included or some excluded.

I never check the Instrument parameter box, since I often use more then 30 different patches (program changes) on the same MIDI track/channel. Intead of this I reserve Bar 0
    of my track to put in all info about the first patch, panning, delay, Volume etc.

IGOR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter269:
    [B]Could those of using Logic please confirm these steps for seeing the correct Garritan String name in the Logic track list? Thanks in advance. Also, is the following a similar issue in Cubase, for all Cubase users? I\'m using Logic 4.8 PC with Giga 160 2.5 on a separate computer.

]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[Hmm, I seem to do this another way. Much preparation work, but once it is done it\'s great.

IGOR

[QUOTE]Originally posted by peter269:
    [B]Could those of using Logic please confirm these steps for seeing the correct Garritan String name in the Logic track list? Thanks in advance. Also, is the following a similar issue in Cubase, for all Cubase users? I\'m using Logic 4.8 PC with Giga 160 2.5 on a separate computer.

Go Back to forum