• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: the best keyboard controller for GOS?

Share/Bookmark

the best keyboard controller for GOS?

OK, in a nutshell. I\'m running Cubase vst 32 on a 1 gig P3 with the intention of soon purchasing the following (in order of listing): Halion sampler, controller keyboard, GOS. MY questions are...

1. Halion - anyone running GOS via Halion and, if so, is it running well?

2. Controller Keyboard - I\'m looking for an instrument with 88 keys, realistic key action and controller wheels. I\'ll be using it not only to bang out drum rhythms and enter sample sounds but also as a piano to practice/compose with each day so I want to make sure I\'m not getting an item that I\'ll wish was something else 6 months down the road. Also, have any of you noticed that particular keyboards are better suited to the GOS\'s unique attributes than others?

3. GOS in Akai format - I don\'t see this listed on the website yet but Gary emailed me a while back saying that it is coming. Is it out yet? Have any of you used it? Will it be fully expandable to the Giga size? I\'m asking because I obviously would like to get going with GOS ASAP but if I\'m sinking cash into the sampler and the keyboard... (oh, and the Canadian dollar is not worth much more than half the American once all the duties and taxes and so on are added) So, should I get the Akai version and upgrade or sell my sister to the circus to pay for the giga? (I know, I know, I want my cake and eat it too!)

Re: the best keyboard controller for GOS?

Antho9,

1. Most instruments in GOS translate well to Halion but, in its present form, it has some difficulty translating certain instruments (e.g. EXP) accurately. This should improve with later updates and help from programs like Chicken Systems’ Translator. Be sure to keep in mind that MaestroTools (and its associated features) are not available for the Halion platform.

2. Fatar has an excellent reputation, so be sure to try out their 88 key models. You might also want to take a look at the Studiologic SL 880 which only costs around $600. Other companies like Kurzweil, Roland and Yamaha may have keyboards that fit your needs. Don’t choose any keyboard controller without playing it – that’s the only way to judge its action. For GOS you will need velocity response (a given with any weighted 88 key controller), mod wheel, and an input for sustain pedal. Additional assignable faders would be a nice extra to handle other continuous controllers.

3. The Akai version is not out yet - details are being finalized. I’m not sure what you mean by “Will it be fully expandable to the Giga size?” The Akai version will be very similar to the “lite” files in the full Giga library – fewer samples per octave, fewer velocity splits, fewer instruments, fewer features, and much smaller files, but very comprehensive in comparison to other Akai libraries. There will be an upgrade path to the full Giga library. Once again, MaestroTools is not available for this version.

Tom

As for a keyboard recommendation, I have the Yamaha S80 which I absolutely love. Quite pricy but well worth it in my opinion.

I agree with Tom though, go and try some out as it is all down to you, the end user.

Happy hunting!

Great, thanks gents for your input.

What exactly does the Maestro Tools feature do? I see it makes legato performance more smooth and gives you up/down bowing control. Are these not possible without Maestro Tools? I\'d hate to buy the full giga GOS version and be limping along frustrated to the teeth with it running via Halion. On the other hand I\'m not sure I want to buy both Halion and Giga samplers.

I\'ve been looking at the Fatar instruments but they do not have a Canadian distributor so I\'m having a hard time finding one on a show room floor to play! Maybe I should start my own business up here distributing Fatar keys!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by antho9:

2. Controller Keyboard - I\'m looking for an instrument with 88 keys, realistic key action and controller wheels. I\'ll be using it not only to bang out drum rhythms and enter sample sounds but also as a piano to practice/compose with each day so I want to make sure I\'m not getting an item that I\'ll wish was something else 6 months down the road. Also, have any of you noticed that particular keyboards are better suited to the GOS\'s unique attributes than others?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A keyboard controller well worth considering would be a Kurzweil K2500X. You get all the midi controllers you could possibly use - e.g. 8 sliders, two wheels, two ribbon controllers, inputs for 4 pedals (even KingIdiot would agree, I think ; ) - plus input for a breath controller.
    In case you\'re not aware, the GOS EXP instruments respond beautifully to breath control, and it is a controller you should seriously consider having in your arsenal. Or better yet, get a wind synth to play the legato instruments. I use a WX5 now....

I think you can get pretty good deals on a used K2500X. Or, if you\'ve got bucks to burn, go for the new K2600X. (X stands for weighted action)

Oh, I almost forgot. These are serious, powerful instruments, as well as controllers ; )

Hope this helps,
    Trond

[This message has been edited by dnortana (edited 03-28-2002).]

Do the Kurzweils function well with a computer sequencing set up? I\'m new to GigaStudio but have done a lot of synth work with computers on the basic Midi level. I\'ve found that Roland and Yamaha keyboard synths both are quite unfriendly to computer sequencing. They\'re usually so aimed at their own internal sequencers that one has a lot of headaches using their preset sounds with ones computer - especially without a patch map file that forces the darned synth to interact with your computer properly. Do you know what I mean? Id like to find a keyboard synth to use as a controller with GS96 that also EASILY allows me to make synth tracks to my computer - tracks that I can come back to after turning my computer off and on and they will play again as the same \"Alto Sax\" that I originally sequenced from the synth and not find that theyve changed to some \"Flute\" cause I didnt do a bunch of internal settings just right to the synth!

How\'s Kurzweil in this regard? I\'m tired of figuring out special \"internal settings\" on synths for simple computer sequencing! I\'m a classical musician and notation is important so all the internal sequencers in synths are pretty much useless from my point of view. Thanks.

dnortana - this is a great suggestion. I hadn\'t even considered the possibilities of a breathe controller. I spent many years as a brass player so this would be a great optionto have! I\'ll look into it.

“What exactly does the Maestro Tools feature do? I see it makes legato performance more smooth and gives you up/down bowing control. Are these not possible without Maestro Tools? I\'d hate to buy the full giga GOS version and be limping along frustrated to the teeth with it running via Halion. On the other hand I\'m not sure I want to buy both Halion and Giga samplers.”

Yes, it is possible to use the up/down bowing and legato instruments without MaestroTools. The up/down bowing would be a matter of choosing the 88 key versions of the ALT instruments and playing the 3 octave separations from the keyboard (if your hand coordination is up to it) – or you could edit the MIDI data tracks in a variety of ways to accomplish this. The legato features, on the other hand, would be considerably less convenient to use without MaestroTools. So inconvenient, in fact, that I would recommend forgoing use of the LEG instruments in favor of other non-LEG instruments in the library. MaestroTools makes some very complex, behind-the-MIDI-scenes legato operations as easy as stepping on the sustain pedal (which is appropriated by MaestroTools to do other things than send sustain pedal data). Duplicating these operations manually would be cumbersome at best. As it stands now, the most involved and sophisticated features of MaestroTools are only available on the Giga platform. This may change in the future, but no promises. As to “limping along,” there are a great many other sustain instruments to choose from, besides the LEG, that can serve you well, without significant frustration. Only you can decide how important the most sophisticated MaestroTools features are to you. Keep in mind that the Akai version doesn’t offer these features, even for manual editing.

Tom

P.S. Trond - good to see you back.

dnortana,

I\'m with you on the k2500x. I have one that I use as my main controller, and the feel of the action, the assignable controllers, and all the pedal outputs make it one of the greatest. You might be able to find a refurb of one for about 1500. Another great thing about the Kurzweil is isn\'t VAST architecture. The quality and diversity of sounds you can get out of it is amazing. In other words, it\'s not just a great controller, but a great instrument as well.

I do think that the K2500 is not a good keyboard to use with GOS, and also much to expensive. It is a good synthesizer and a pretty good sampler, but has lousy key action (I have two of them). A real piano player can normally not play on the K2500.
    I recommend a Studiologic 880. It is not very expensive and feels like a piano.

IGOR

[This message has been edited by IGOR (edited 03-28-2002).]

Go Back to forum