• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first GOS song/demo/something

Share/Bookmark

My first GOS song/demo/something

Just made my first tune with GOS. Its done with the the strings from cd16 \"Full Strings Orchestra\"
    because my ultra slow computer-a-go-go can´t handle more (have to get a new one soon)

Anyway, Im just a happy amatuer so don´t expect to much, hehe
    Let me know what you think:
    http://www.sitecenter.dk/kobra/nss-folder/mappe/kobra1.mp3

Re: My first GOS song/demo/something

How about some variation please? It sounds good, but add some new textures or add/remove instrumentation. Or something.

Originally posted by steve_t:
    Just made my first tune with GOS. Its done with the the strings from cd16 \"Full Strings Orchestra\"
    because my ultra slow computer-a-go-go can´t handle more (have to get a new one soon)

Anyway, Im just a happy amatuer so don´t expect to much, hehe
    Let me know what you think:
    http://www.sitecenter.dk/kobra/nss-folder/mappe/kobra1.mp3
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] First, I want to congratulate you on boldly putting up your first venture. It\'s excellent, and I really like the way you used the strings. Here are some specific thoughts to consider:

1. In the mix, the percussion and effects were a little too much up front in the mix. I\'d pull them back, and then try some different panning options.

2. The interludes between the strings represent an opportunity to develop either the vibes for extended solo lines, or other instruments.

3. Where the strings sustain: look at the GOS Expressives to do crescendos that breathe a little back.

4. You can vary the strings a bit by trying out harmony in thirds or sixths, or thirds in octaves and sixths in octaves on the sustaining sections. Another consideration for the strings is consider 4 then 8-part harmony. Using seventh chords, voice in close 4-part harmony in the first and second violins. Then double that an octave below with the violas and cellos.

5. I liked the bass part a lot.It\'s a good jazz-riff type line. Be careful not to lose it in the mix.

6. I suggest you call this V.1. Go back to your strings and try doing a version with the Expressives through each section. In Giga, pan the strings in the DSP. This way when the strings come in, it should have a powerful effect.

These are very small critiques. Overall, you have a great composition in the works with very colorful sounds. In fact, this would be a killer cue for a detective movie. PD James anyone?

I love it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'m a sucker for this kind of music and it\'s really good - no less. My only thought was it would be killer to have a spot where horns play, maybe twice or three time in there - thinking like jazz/fusion/funk music here. Great stuff. Love the vibes and especially the flute around the end.

Thanks for the feedback & the kind words.
    I really appriciate it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I´ll continue to improve the song. I have only have the GOS libary for a few days so its very new to me. Gary sent me the Maestro Tools beta for XP but there seemed to be a conflict with the Midiyoke drivers and Cubase SX. I´ll work on fixing that too. Really wanna use that.

All tips & tricks are welcome. I have no musical education so please keep it simple, hehe

I have crap speakers so mixing tips are also welcome.

Cheers...

Hey, Steve, why not post this on the sample discussion board as well?

I thought it was simply terrific. I loved the \'mix\' of styles and sounds. Nice little hip-hop motifs with some \'James Bond\' strings (well, it reminded me of that sound anyway), a jazz feel and a smattering of techno.

Very cool indeed.

I liked the \'up front\' percussion.

But try the other board too: Like some of the previous posts here, you can pick up a lot of tips to make it even better. (I still like it the way it is, though.)

Thanks Z6 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just posted on the sample discussion board too.
    Glad you like it. Never done this kind of music before so its nice that someone likes it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Back to the music...

Cheers...

Go Back to forum