• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS "lite" - what's the difference ?

Share/Bookmark

GOS "lite" - what\'s the difference ?

Being very pleasantly surprised, I just saw that there is now a GOS \"lite\" version of the original GOS set on the TASCAM/Giga website. Finally within reach of my wallet ...

Now my question: What is the specific difference, what has been changed, modified or omitted from the full version?
    I am looking for a solid set of orchestral strings to use in Pop and Rock Productions (Vanessa Carlton - mentioned on another thread -is a good example for what I have in mind) and this might be exactly what I need ... (?)

Any opinions much appreciated.
    Thanks,

MisterBlue.

Re: GOS "lite" - what\'s the difference ?

MisterBlue,

The GigaSampler “Lite” version of the Garritan Orchestral Strings library is an economical and easy introduction to the quality string sounds of the GOS library. This version is especially useful for those who use earlier or lighter versions of GigaSampler, or for those who do not have extensive string sample needs. Here are some of the main differences:

● The full GigaStudio version ships with 16 CD discs or 2 DVDs, whereas the Lite version contains 3 CDs.
    ● There are considerably more articulations in the full version whereas the Lite version has more “basic” articulations.
    ● The full version includes chromatic samples whereas the Lite version offers much smaller programming depth and features (e.g. minor 3rd sample spacing).
    ● The full version has the benefits of MaestroTools functionality (i.e. Legato Mode or Automatic Alternating Bowing); whereas this is not available in the Lite version.
    ● The full version offers more advanced playability features, and more robust Expression, Vibrato, and other controls.
    ● The full version has up to 4 dynamic levels (p, mp, mf & f) whereas the Lite version is limited to 2 layers (mp, mf).
    ● The full version has a more comprehensive 150 page manual
    ● The full version is evolving and users receive free upgrades.

We a planning a generous upgrade path for GOS “Lite” owners who wish to graduate to the full version. Further details will follow. Check our website www.garritan.com for more details about the \"Lite\" version.

Gary

Gary,

thanks a lot for taking the time for this detailed explanation. Very much appreciated !

I am still struggling a bit with assessing whether the \"lite\" version will be \"good enough\" in the context of a pop/rock production. I have the impression that a lot of the full version users are active in the \"classical / full orchestra / movie score\" field, where the details of the (outstanding) full version become very obvious vs. my situation with layers of drums, guitars etc. as part of a pop or rock production.

Is there any guidance possible on whether this is the collection that will likely satisfy my needs at a price that I can afford ?

Thanks again,

MisterBlue.

MisterBlue,

It\'s difficult to give you a definitive answer because much depends upon the type of lines you intend to write. I would think, however, that in a typical Pop context the \"Lite\" version would be more than adequate. It may be \"lite\" but it still gives you enormous resources for the construction of string parts. And remember: These instruments are drawn from the same high quality sample pool as the larger library.

Tom

Gary,

you got me convinced that your library might be my best bet for good pop strings and so I went to order the \"lite\" version through my local Guitar Center. The sales guy came back and said you told him (personally, I might add) that it was not yet available ... Is that indeed the case and when will you ship it?

Waiting anxiously,
    Thanks,

MisterBlue.

MisterBlue,

It is available and it is shipping. Please call me at 360-376-5766 and we\'ll figure out the quickest and easiest way for you to get a copy.

Gary

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if an upgrade option from Lite to the full set had been ironed out? If so, I\'ll probably get the Lite and upgrade after a bit (sold on the impressive sound, features, demos, but especially the support found on this site--you all are amazing).

Does anyone know about the upgrade specifics?

Hey gang,

I just wanted to post a personal review using the LITE library.

First of all I want to say that it sounds great and that it\'s a really great bang for the buck for anyone interested. There are a few articulations missing but in general you\'ll find everything you need to cover your bases.

Gary has included some useful programming and overall had this been the ONLY library that Gary released, it would still have made a place for itself as one of the best String libraries out there.

The lack of chromatic samples really doesn\'t affect the overall sound too bad but it does create a bit more sample repetition. Essentially your melodies will sound authentic but some notes might give away the illusion.

IMHO the biggest difference from the full library is the lack of pp and ff layers. You are essentially stuck with 2 layers (mp and mf ) for the most part and some users might feel that they can\'t achieve varied enough dynamics. By adding some filtering and volume automation you can re-gain part of the full dynamics, but if you\'re looking to write the next Star Wars score you might want to save up for the full version.

Overall this is a great library and composers that work in pop/commercial contextes will be more than happy with it. Gary has managed to grab the \"best\" of the full version and package it in a well-rounded library.

I would encourage anyone who is considering GOS but can\'t afford the full version to give some serious thought to GOS LITE.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum