• Register
  • Help

Topic: Atavistic3

Share/Bookmark

Atavistic3

Max . this is dedicated to you for your kind understanding of my old-fashioned simple efforts.
    The sopranos are combined from the Olimpus Micro and Bestservice's choir originally supplied with Giga, alto,tenor and bass from Bestservice. The Olimpus Micro give a little relief from the AHs, and OHs and I like this choir how it sounds. The harp is GPO4.

https://app.box.com/s/5nfetjj8f9ye3ubm9knn

Last edited by tedvanya; 08-21-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: mistake

Re: Atavistic3

My dear friend Ted,

Thank you so much for this heavenly beautiful choir piece.
    And I'm so sorry that I didn't reply a lot earlier to your kind offer, which I don't deserve. I was so busy with all kinds of things that music came in the second place. But here I am, enjoying your composition so much. The title isn't quite correct. This my be atavist musci, but how present day it remains (and forever). Beauty has no age, no era, no style period... Bach will be Bach forever, no matter what musical hype will be created. And my dear Ted, I know that you've always tried to come as close to absolute beauty as possible. This is another success. Thank you for that.

In the piece, you've made a very expressive dynamic curve, both in the phrases as in the total piece. Even without clear words, the choir performs superbly, with the subtle modest harp as support. Brilliant! Surely, I've enjoyed every second of it. I wish it was a bit longer...

Thousand times thank you, Ted!

Max

Thanks Max, you are very kind.
    The "atavistic" just refers to my feelings that I am somehow in an atavistic way connected to the past. No, I do not believe in reincarnation, but our brain maybe inherit some things from our ancestors and sometime these can surface subconsciously. Or,more likely, I am just hopelessly old-fashioned. I have an ancestor, a Sachse, who was an organist and a composer in the 16th century somewhere near Bonn, (but I do not blame him for what I am doing, ha-ha).

Thanks again

Ted

Wink Re: Atavistic3

Hi Ted,

Haha, aren't we all related to some 'interesting' historical ancestor? My friend the great composer Herman Roelstraete was a brilliant narrator and thrilled us many times with his always surprising tales about himself being related via...via... to some 19th or even 18th century local musical prodigy (Cabezon, Alphonse Merville and many others). And his explanations always sounded so plausible that we were inclined to believe them (and who knows, maybe his was actually right). So don't apologize for being gifted with some ancestor's wisdom and talent, which is never old-fashioned. The only possible issue for discussion here is a matter of taste: do we love modernism or don't we. Why do we stick to the traditional classical rather than to the a- or polytonal approach? Again, a matter of taste (probably influenced by education, family, culture, tradition...)

And rest asure, it's absolutely allright to be that kind of old-fashioned!

Max

Great choir use. One thing, the attacks are a bit similar to string attacks, can't you shorten the attack time?
    Ted, this is a great piece.

Raymond

Hello Raymond:

Thank you,thank you thank you!
    In my regrettable ignorance, I did not realize what was wrong at the 3 places where legato sounded like a dog barking.
    You put me right with your advise. I changed the piece as you suggested.
    For me, it is especially important, because it is possible a choir will perform it sometime in the future...
    Thanks again,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Raymond:

Thank you,thank you thank you!
    In my regrettable ignorance, I did not realize what was wrong at the 3 places where legato sounded like a dog barking.
    You put me right with your advise. I changed the piece as you suggested.
    For me, it is especially important, because it is possible a choir will perform it sometime in the future...
    Thanks again,

Ted
    Much, much better now. Marvellous piece.

Greetings from a very wet (it is pouring) The Hague,
    Raymond

Hi Ted,

Raymond, the master with the fine ears (for all technical and acoustic matters). He was right indeed. This version sounds better. It is a sublime piece of music, written with all your heart and soul. I enjoy every listen (and I did listen at least 5 times now).

Thanks,

Max

A wonderful composition, Ted!
    Yes, I can definitely imagine this being performed by a real choir.

Go Back to forum