• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first demo using GOS online

My first demo using GOS online

I did this a while back while I was new to the library. For the fun of it, I took the score to Schinler\'s list and made an attempt to re-create it without the sound track, just the score and this is the result. It\'s pretty close but a bit louder than the real recording and the solo violin, as nice as it is, just doesn\'t compare to Pearlman. I\'m hoping Gary\'s Solo violins will be closer to what is needed. I will replace this solo violin with his once they are available. Then all the instruments will by by Gary. Right now, they use his strings ensembles and harp along with the miroslav solo violin for the time being.
    Let me know what you think.
    Go to www.davidgovett.com and go to the demo page.
    Can\'t miss it. I\'m now working on a huge full orchestra demo that will blow your mind. After that, I will revamp and compose some original music and share that. For now, as I experiment with the new libraries and get back in composing shape, I\'m using existing scores and sound tracks to practice and experiment and nail the realistic sound.
    David Govett

Re: My first demo using GOS online

Hi David -
    Thanks for all your effort dealing with GIGA and Garritan - and your demos!
    A short question; are you using the Legato function (Maestro Tool) with the legato lines in the piece from Schindler? It sounds as if the samples/playing are not masked, creating this typical pulsating effect, that we are NOT looking for... giving away the use of sampling if you listen closely...?
    Thanks in advance! Let\'s keep walking down the lane to better midi-orchestration!

I had not mastered the tools at that point. I\'ll improve it when I get some time. The masking samples really do save the day. When I do, I\'ll try to leave both versions for a before after comparison.
    Thanks for checking it out.

HAHAHAHA funny

spell it with me now Dave

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] heheee

I really like your arrangement on the demo. I am new to GOS and orchestration in general, so please forgive the newbie question:

When I hear the ensemble strings swell up or down in volume, is this accomplished during the mix, or via a midi controller?

The swelling with the GOS strings is usually accomplished with the mod wheel and it is crossfading between 4 layers of soft-to loud samples to create very realistic crescendos. Also, some of the sounds have a little bit of swell in the samples themselves like the grand detache in GOS.

Go Back to forum