• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to Install Articulation File Updates

Share/Bookmark

How to Install Articulation File Updates

Below is a short guide to help you install articulation file updates - particularly for the newest GOS updates.

Articulation files represent a convenient way to provide the user with fixes, modifications, and new features without the need to send out hard copies of the complete .gig files. Articulation files contain all of the data about the file, excluding the samples themselves. Since the sample data is not included, the files are quite small in comparison to the full .gig files. One cautionary note: If you have made any custom changes to your files, be sure to save an articulation file backup of your configuration BEFORE you load any new articulation files, in case you wish to retreat, for any reason, to your custom version.

The following set of instructions gives you the steps for installing the updates that use only Articulation files to add the new structural information (no new sample material) to existing .gig files:

1. Launch the GigaStudio Instrument Editor by going to Start->Programs->Nemesys->GigaStudio Editor.

2. The GigaStudio Editor now opens.

3. Open the desired .gig file you wish to update. In the GigaStudio Editor, go to File->Open and navigate to the folder on your library hard drive that contains the file to be updated. For this example we will update the 1st Violins Additional Techniques 1.gig file. This will also apply to any other file you wish updated. Click once on the file, then click Open. This will load the file into the Instrument Editor as in the screenshot below.

4. Go to File and choose Load articulation file.

5. Navigate to the GOS Update folder (or other folder where your articulation files are located)and click on New Instruments via Articulation Files folder. Click Open.

6. Click on the Additional Techniques folder. Click Open.

7. Click on the 1st Violins Additional Techniques 1U.art file (or articulation file you would like applied). Click Open. This will write the structural changes to the .gig file (it will take a few seconds).

8. Save the updated .gig file: File->Save and you are done. The procedure is the same for the other Additional Technique files, Short Bow files, and Options (if you choose to use them).

Many thanks to Peter Alexander and Tom Hopkins for providing these instructions. If you wish more detailed instructions, I would strongly recommend Dave Govett\'s GigaStudio Mastery Tutorial.

Gary Garritan

Re: How to Install Articulation File Updates

Hey Gary..
    I recieved the update cd\'s today.. Whoo Hoo
    Started loading the articulation files..
    When I load a gig file and load the new articulation file do I do a save as?? Cause there seems to be 3-4 .art files for most of the instruments.. I\'d most likely rewrite the art files each time if I just saved right??
    So I\'m saving to eg. 1st violin additonal techniques 1.. Then load the 2nd .art file and save it as 1st violin additional techniques 1.2
    Sorry for the dumb ?? It just seems to take a while to save each art file for the gig\'s..
    Thanks Bri

Re: How to Install Articulation File Updates

Bri,

“Started loading the articulation files..
    When I load a gig file and load the new articulation file do I do a save as?? Cause there seems to be 3-4 .art files for most of the instruments.. I\'d most likely rewrite the art files each time if I just saved right??”

Be sure to read the installation instructions very carefully – do not just apply articulation files by name because some of the update procedures are more involved than that (they add new sample data to the .gig files before you apply the articulation files). The installation .pdf files will step you through the process.

So that there’s no misunderstanding, when you complete the main update procedures there will be only *one* main articulation update file per .gig file. The other articulation files you see are *optional* updates (e.g. ALL WARM, Exaggerated Range, ALL WARM Exaggerated Range) that can be applied, at the user’s discretion, after the main file updates have been completed. These are not intended to be saved as separated files (Save As . . . ). If you applied all of the optional updates and saved them as separate files you would consume an enormous amount of HD space – not a good idea. Rather, apply these optional articulation files directly to the .gig files (Save). Once again, any optional articulation files must be applied only after the completion of the main update process as detailed in the installation .pdf files. If, when you finish the update, you decide to apply an *optional* update and then change your mind, you can always revert to the standard updated files by using the articulation files located in the “Revert to Standard Update (normal range)” folder which, in turn, is located in the “Exaggerated Range Option” folder. By using the “revert” files you can always get back to where you started before you applied the “option.” This applies to all options included in this update.

“So I\'m saving to eg. 1st violin additonal techniques 1.. Then load the 2nd .art file and save it as 1st violin additional techniques 1.2. It just seems to take a while to save each art file for the gig\'s..”

Yes, by saving under a different name you are saving the entire second .gig file to a new location on your HD. Instead, use the “optional” and “revert” files as I described above.

This is a very large update that includes many choices for users. You especially need to evaluate the optional files carefully to see if they offer features that suit your preferred working methods. You may want to “take them for a test spin” before you decide your preference. If you try them and don’t like them, then you can “revert” to your previous configuration. This way you never eat up any additional HD space while you try them out. Hope this helps clear things up for you.

Tom

Go Back to forum