• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jeff Beal Mod Wheel XFades/ BassShort Bows

Share/Bookmark

Jeff Beal Mod Wheel XFades/ BassShort Bows

What Jeff Beal did with Short Bow Mod Wheel Xfades was brilliant. Unfortunately he didn\'t include the up/down alt versions on the Double Bass instruments. So I did it myself.

I noticed two things:

1.) Jeff\'s Mod Wheel Xfade instruments take up 8(!) voices per note (actually his Bass Instrument takes only 2 but the Cello, VI, VII and Vla all take 8). My Double Bass instrument only takes up 2 (stereo) for each note. This doesn\'t only apply when you are actually crossfading between layers. It occurs consistantly across the instrument even when the Mod Wheel is at its extremes. Why do Jeff\'s instruments take up 8? Is there any reason why they should? It just seems like they are eating up voices unneccesarily. How do I make them take only 2 voices per note?

2.) On the Double Bass up/down alt instruments it sounds like there is a panning issue on certain notes - i.e. the upbow isn\'t in the same place in the stereo spectrum as the downbow. If you pan the DB close to center you get kind of a ping pong effect. Is this the way the instrument was miked? Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone come up with a solution?

Thanks

Re: Jeff Beal Mod Wheel XFades/ BassShort Bows

Okay

I think I understand the polyphony issue in JB\'s instruments. It seems that if you use the Mod Wheel to crossfade attenuation, Gigastudio still \"plays\" all the layers but it just turns up the volume on the ones within the crossfade range. So, even if you only are hearing 1-2 layers all 4 are playing.

This, imho, is ridiculous. Is there any way around this? This \"feature\" is a very unprofessional short cut. The more I delve into Gigastudio the more I realize Tascam has a long way to go.

Between this issue and the way Gigastudio handles patch numbers and bank numbers I am really frustrated.

Hi Wacky,

I was wondering about those up/down basses. Are you sharing the file? I would love a copy if you are open to sharing it. Im writing a review of the library for Music4games.net and I would gladly give you credit.

-Andy Brick
    www.andybrick.com

Originally posted by Andy Brick:
    Hi Wacky,

I was wondering about those up/down basses. Are you sharing the file? I would love a copy if you are open to sharing it. Im writing a review of the library for Music4games.net and I would gladly give you credit.

-Andy Brick
    www.andybrick.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Brace your self for the storm!

Hi Wacky,

Jeff Beal\'s mods are brilliant and it was gracious of him to share them with the GOS community. Jeff will be our guest in the GOS Meet the Artist series in a few weeks so you\'ll be able to ask him about his mods.

Could you be specific as to which patches and specific notes in the Double Basses have this panning issue. There could be any number of a host of factors involved. This has not been brought to our attention before and we\'ll thoroughly test this and come up with a solution in an update if necessary.

Please email the specific patches and notes to Tom: hopjon@harbornet.com. (Tom hasn\'t been able to get an internet connection in the past few days but he is getting email)

It would be great if you could share you bass mods with other GOS members and perhaps include them in the next round of updates

Wacky, Crossfading layers requires you to play all layers because you are able to crossfade in real time

if you make it dimension switchable then you wontneed to play all 4 samples, but the switchingis more obvious IMO

I\'m making some way awesome Short bow ART updates for both GOS and SI. but they will eat up poly like crazy. However for arpegiations and fast lines, there\'s nothing like them.

Andy, you should have the up and down bows Wacky\'s talkinga bout from the update to GOS.

-Edit....just re read...doh! saw you did it yourself Wacky

BTW, how do I get a game I\'veworked on/am working some recognition on M4G? I know you guysa re way more into the orchestral music and CD stream stuff which I did for a pretty rank game named Godai, (did I jsut say that), and am now workingon Sly Cooper and the Thevius Racoonus which is usign all interactive music, but of course its internal sound chip stuff, which most reviewers hate.

\"Hi Wacky,
    I was wondering about those up/down basses. Are you sharing the file? I would love a copy if you are open to sharing it. Im writing a review of the library for Music4games.net and I would gladly give you credit. \"

Sure I will e-mail the .art files to you.

They were really easy to do, and unlike Jeff\'s Mods they are not x-faded with the Mod Wheel. The Mod Wheel only switches between the layers. This way the instrument is only eating up 2 voices per note but the possibilities (like crossfading stac with Grand Detache to give an accent to a held note) are somewhat more limited.

\"I\'m making some way awesome Short bow ART updates for both GOS and SI. but they will eat up poly like crazy. However for arpegiations and fast lines, there\'s nothing like them.\"

Polyphony seems to be the issue of the day - there is always something, isn\'t there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Time to buy another machine...

\"Please email the specific patches and notes to Tom: hopjon@harbornet.com.\"

Done.

\"It would be great if you could share your bass mods with other GOS members and perhaps include them in the next round of updates \"

Should I e-mail the .art files to Tom too?

KingIdiot:

I hope you and all other game audio providers are members of G.A.N.G. Greg, who runs Music4Games is a member and sponsor. You can sign up as a card-carrying member of Music4Games at:
    http://www.music4games.net/

And naturally you can get to G.A.N.G. at:
    http://www.audiogang.org/
    They are about to go on line with their full site soon and it will be full of features and benefits for members.

And any art files that can be shared would be great. I bet Gary would gleefully make good .art ideas available, perhaps on his site, but he will have to comment on this.

Go Back to forum