• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound degradation

Sound degradation

Using Logic Audio and GS160 I get exactly the sound quality from GOS that I want.
    However when I record the MIDI to .wav (24/44.1) and import the files into Logic, the strings - especially the violins - sound a little brittle and to bright.
    When I take the same files to a friend\'s ProTools system, this is not happening, the sound quality of the original MIDI is still there....
    Does anybody know what\'s happening?

Thank you.

Orcas Island

Re: Sound degradation

Hi Jeannot,

This is a question that has plagued many an audio professional. Why do my audio files sound different among different software programs. I don\'t have the answer and this has been debated extensively. It could be a host of factors ranging from the import algorithms to the A/D converters involved, etc.

I have sometimes found it to be that the default settings among the programs were different. Perhaps other maestro members have suggestions.

Hi Gary,

I think you can exclude the D/A converters, as I am using the same card - RME Digiface - for both MIDI and audio.
    Given the fact that everything else is identical, it can only be the code in Logic.
    I am curious to know if anybody notices the same effect with Cubase or Samplitude.
    Keep in mind that you need a system with a fairly high resolution to hear the effect.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.
    There is a setting in Logic called \"volume smoothing\", the default setting is \"50\". It does seem to affect high frequency playback. I have to run a few experiments...

Hi Jeannot,

My first suggestion would be to try one of the demo versions of other sequncers (ie., cubase) and see if you like the sound any better. If you\'re not up for switching sequencers, maybe you can work around it if it is a Logic problem by recording into a different dedicated audio program and then importing the files into Logic. Try some of the demo audio editors like Sound Forge, Wavelab, etc. and see how that goes. ProTools Free might even be a good bet since you said your friend\'s system works great.
    If that doesn\'t produce any favorable results, you\'re gonna have to look at your sound card, or compensate for the sound via EQ.

Go Back to forum