• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS Meet the Artist: KING IDIOT: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

GOS Meet the Artist: KING IDIOT: Questions from forum members invited

We are pleased to announce our fifth guest in the series of GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interviews with KING IDIOT!

It is an honor to have one of Northern\'s Sound\'s own as our featured guest. KingIdiot has emerged from this group as a cybersampling legend. He is one of the foremost consultants for gigalibraries and he is an incredible help to sample developers. When this lean mean sample-editing machine is not performing miracles with samples, he composes for popular video games.
    He is currently consulting and helping with the upcoming gigantic Vienna Orchestra project.
    KingIdiot has been one of the most helpful, giving and prolific members on NorthernSounds forums and nobody has embodied the ideals of the forum more than he.

We are now inviting questions for KingIdiot from forum members. If you have any questions you would like to ask about the interactive music industry, tweaking samples, the Vienna project, his sampling approach, projects he is working on, or anything else you would like to know; now is your opportunity to ask him. At the end of the questioning peroid, your questions will be presented to KingIdiot and we will then post his response in interview form.

Please post your questions here or email them to me at gary@garritan.com.

Once we gather your questions,they will be presented to the King. We will then post his response in interview form here.

Thank you for your participation,

Let the questions begin!

Maestro Gary

Re: GOS Meet the Artist: KING IDIOT: Questions from forum members invited

First of all, King, I\'d like to say a big \"Thank you\" for getting me to consider gigastudio in the first place and also for your willingness to help out newbies.

Most any question I might ask has probably already been answered by you in some past thread, but I just missed it. Please forgive anything that might seem redundant.

1. Could you give us a quick background on your involvement with video game music and how it evolved into a regular gig for you?

2. Do you currently run one gigastudio PC or do you have multiple machines running?

3. As a fellow VS user (for now), I\'m curious to find out how you go about tracking and sequencing your music - specifically what sequencing program you use, if it\'s on a PC separate from giga, and if your VS usit is still your main audio recorder. Could you walk us through a quick example of your workflow from song idea to final recording?

4. As a tweakmeister, what features would you like to see offered in future versions of gigastudio? And related to that, what is your vision of sampling in the future - how good could it get and what might be some of the interface features that would make a live performance more viable and expressive. What is that Vienna Orchestra group doing that is creating such a buzz? Is their approach really that revolutionary?

5. Do you do much of your own sampling, or to you prefer to stick to the programming side of things? Any suggestions for those of us who are just beginning to explore those areas of gigastudio?

Thanks again, King. Your attitude, generosity, and humor really help set the standard around this place.

Also...

Thank you, Gary, for setting up these interviews. It\'s a great format for getting to know more about the featured artists.

Whats your real name?

Hi King,

I would like you to talk a little about how you blend together all the notes of the various instruments in your music. Do you quantize notes and/or how do you proceed ?

SergeD

Hi King,

1. Was wondering if you\'ve been taking typing or spelling lessons? I find you\'re post are getting too easy to read - or maybe I\'ve just gotten used to your style!

2. Do you plan on putting out a CD of your own material?

BTW, love the looped detache samples!

Hail to the King,

Lettsee....without getting yourself into too much trouble, what are the main issues with current libraries that prompt you to \"adjust\" commercial libraries? Do you find that developers are overall improving their programming skills or have they been fairly static (some of your recent comments towards SI have seemed to indicate a return to simpler programming).

Last but not least, what are the biggest shortcomings of Gigastudio as you see them?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the great work!

I\'m interested in answers to all of the previous questions as well, especially the one about getting into the business of scoring for video games.

Howdy,
    Thanks for your generosity with the developers, that helps us alot! I would like to know a few things;

1) do you have any audio engineering experience with live orchestra\'s,

2) Do you think that keyboard controllers are outdated, and could use additional controlling mechanisms for tomorrows advanced samplers?

3) If you had the resources and knowledge(maybe you do! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , How would you build the ultimate sampler and controller, I mean one that can play a myriad of articulations and also able to handle dynamics and vibrato on the fly?

Thanks for your time,
    Rick

No questions at this time but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the great and all powerful, King... Your help over the past year or so has been invaluable.

All the best to you, King!

--------------------
    Francis Belardino
    fbelardino@score4post.com

Composer/Sound Designer
    www.score4post.com

Go Back to forum