• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga version versus-

Giga version versus-

My Wife wishes to purchase the GOS library for my birthday next month BUT........

1) I do not have Gigastudio yet
    2) Is Maestro Tools Ap only for Giga
    3) I use Cubase SX on pc and have Halion BUT it appears many users have problems getting the best from this library due to conversion. WILL one EVER be able to use Halion 100% or is Giga the only way to go really for FULL usage of this library.
    4) I\'ve heard the demo\'s, it really sounds superb!

Thank you

Re: Giga version versus-

I\'ve just purchased GOS (hasn\'t arrived quite yet) and I will be using it with HALion. I\"ve seen Gigastudio and its pretty scary stuff. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] If you\'re used to HALion then Giga wil seem like a bit of a nightmare to use in comparison. Having said that of course Giga will have more functionality with the library. After all it is intended for that format. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just hope they sort HALion out in the next update and that the next update isn\'t miles away. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks. I really think Giga will ultimately give far greater results than halion, even with this so called update they are working on.

The Maestro Tools app is probably fairly important and won\'t work in Halion at all I belive. I may just have to go buy Gigastudio 160 and build a seperate machine too.

Good luck with your setup, let me know how you get along.

I have GOS and use it with Maestro on a stand alone PC. I don\'t believe there would be any problem using Maestro Tools within CuBase or Halion. Maestro Tools is crucial to successful use of GOS as it makes the legato function possible and automates the use of up/down stroke samples. I think the bigger issue will be compatibility with Halion. You\'ll always be behind the curve using Halion, whereas using Giga you\'ll get full functionality from the start.

I am surprised Tom Hopkins hasn\'t responded and I would hold off making moves until you\'ve heard from him. Maybe he\'s on vacation this week.

....And happy birthday Mixman!

Steve Chandler

No vacation this week, Steve (although I’ll take that as a definite suggestion). The reason I didn’t jump right into this one is: I try to hold off posting when I don’t have answers that are as solid as I’d like. Here go the less than solid answers:

1. Yes, MaestroTools is designed specifically for use with GigaStudio, but I’m guessing that it can be “placed” in front of Cubase, if desired, to use with Halion. I\'m speculating here because I’m a Logic user, not Cubase (although it looks like Emagic is insisting that I become a Cubase user with their recent Apple decisions – I can usually take a hint). The primary change in functionality is the alteration of data before it reaches the Cubase tracks, rather than after. This means that data generated from functions like alternating up/down bows would be recorded to the actual MIDI tracks rather than the MIDI data from the tracks being intercepted by MaestroTools after the sequencer but before GigaStudio. Editing can be a little awkward for data recorded to the MIDI tracks but the audible result should be the same. There may be other configuration options of which I’m unaware. Jeff Hurchalla (the programmer of MaestroTools) could give a more definitive answer to this question, but I think Jeff is on the road right now. I should mention that Logic users have a choice unavailable to other sequencer users in Virtual MaestroTools, which was included in the update package. Virtual MaestroTools was designed by Roman Beilharz to take advantage of Logic’s Environment. It actually adds a few features not available in the standard MaestroTools utility.

2. I really don’t have any inside information on future versions of Halion. While I think it is in Steinberg’s interest to improve the Giga import capabilities of Halion, your guess is as good as mine on future changes. Libraries like GOS push the capabilities of GigaStudio to the edge and, as a consequence, place stronger demands on any import or conversion attempts. Simpler libraries always have a better chance of acceptable conversions.

3. Even if Halion has a direct one-to-one conversion at some point there will still be inevitable differences. Filters, velocity curves, attack envelope behavior, etc. will give somewhat different results in any A/B comparison of the two. This is not necessarily a criticism because such departures may not make the conversion sound worse, just different – and somewhat unpredictable. Of course, if you want to hear things the way I did as I programmed GOS then GigaStudio is the place to hear it.

4. While we’ve run into Halion conversion problems (especially with multi-layer crossfades like EXP) you should also keep an eye out for the work done in the various 3rd party conversion programs like Translator. Sometimes they find workarounds that are more effective than the native conversions. This is in a constant state of flux though, so you need to get the latest information directly from them.

It seems to come down to this: You can have GOS and all its features right now with GigaStudio, or you can cross your fingers and hope that Halion evolves an effective conversion system for all Giga features in the near future. Where is my crystal ball when I need it?

Thyank you all for your responses, I appreciate the Birthday wishes too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I guess it\'s off to buy Gigastudio as well, doesn\'t surprise me, kind of thought that may be something I couldn\'t get out of, oh well.

This is a great forum, again, thanks for all your help!!!

Melbourne, Australia

Hey Mixman,

Are you the engineer who is writing or who wrote a diary on another forum about recording this band with an awful drummer nicknamed \"cotton\"??? If you are, man, that was one entertaining read!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Happy birthday anyways. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If you are on the lookout to buy GigaStudio, remember that your soundcard has to be GSIF compatible.

I am not sure if this is of any help to you but you should check out the EgoSys GigaStation, which comes bundled with a GSIF 8 analogue out soundcard and 2 midi I/O. Apparently its not a very good card but, here in Australia, it comes with GigaStudio96 (full version), the soundcard, midi ports, GigaPiano and the Conexant GM500 sounds. I bought it because it IS cheaper than buying just the GigaStudio96 version that ONLY comes with GigaPiano. Not sure about it over at your side though... I am in the process of upgrading to GigaStudio160 and adding all the costs together, I would have paid less than if I bought a copy of GigaStudio160 + all the other goodies thrown in.

No, that\'s not me but thanks for the Birthday wishes [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My audio card is Gif compatible too.
    I like that idea though about 96 being thrown in, have to check it out.

I\'m living in the States but from Sydney and will return next year. Hooroo!!!!

Go Back to forum