• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS Impulse Response and Logic Audio???

Share/Bookmark

GOS Impulse Response and Logic Audio???

Hiya,

Does anyone know how to use the GOS impulse response with Logic Audio Platinum 5.2 (Windows)??? I managed to have all the files copied onto my harddrive yesterday and started playing around with the samples. Haven\'t had much time to investigate if it is possible for me to use the impulse response...

Does the impulse response work in the NFX reverb as well???

Thanks!

meeehoon

Re: GOS Impulse Response and Logic Audio???

Meeehoon,

Logic Audio is not capable of handling impulses - nor is GigaStudio. Impulses require the use of a separate program with convolution capabilities. Among these are: Sound Forge (Acoustic Mirror), Samplitude, Altiverb (real-time on the Mac), and, I think, Cool Edit Pro. There may be others. Convolution is very processor intensive and I’m not aware of its inclusion in any sequencers at present (others will probably chime in if I’ve missed something). Eventually, as processor power increases, it will become practical to include real-time convolution in sequencers – but not yet (he said, three seconds before the feature appeared).

Tom

Thanks Tom, that was a quick reply!!!

Would you by any chance know which program works best with the GOS impulses?

(a) Sound Forge (Acoustic Mirror),
    (b) Samplitude,
    (c) Altiverb (real-time on the Mac),
    (d) Cool Edit Pro.

I don\'t use a Mac so obviously Altiverb is out of the question. I think Sound Forge or Samplitude would be good, but any idea?

Thanks!

meeehoon

Meeehoon,

Sound Forge has been one of my main workhorses for several years so I can certainly recommend it. SF\'s Acoustic Mirror exists in DX form in the program so it can also be used by other applications – a big advantage. I’ve had much less experience with Samplitude’s considerable capabilities. The convolution section appears to be built-in (not DX) and is perhaps a little less user-friendly (but has many nice features.) Convolution results for each should be very similar but I’ve never performed A/B comparisons between the two programs to find out. I haven\'t had any experience with Cool Edit Pro.

Tom

It does work with Cool Edit Pro. Can\'t compare it with the other programs, since I don\'t have them.

Meeehoon

On the Mac side there is a shareware product called SoundHack that does convolution and the sound editor Peak. I would recomend that you convert the impulse files and sound files to 24/32 bit format before processing. Both of these programs are non-realtime.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

Thanks all!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sorry, I don\'t have a Mac... heheehehhe...

Go Back to forum