• Register
  • Help

Topic: samples too short / long when pitched up/down

Share/Bookmark

samples too short / long when pitched up/down

when I use the wizard to make a new giga instrument the middle c one is fine but higher up the sample is really quick and lower down it is really slow.

How can I make it so that the pitch of the sample changes but ech one lasts the same amount of time?

------------------
    ---remember I\'m new----

Re: samples too short / long when pitched up/down

Sounds to me like you need a wave editor. Something like Cool Edit Pro, Wavelab, Vegas Pro, etc. You\'d have to timestretch the sample to a certain length in seconds, but choose to not affect the pitch. In most cases I\'ve done this, the samples sound wobbly and terrible, but there might be some new programs out there now that can do this effectively. You would then import those wave files into Giga editor and create your new sound.
    I don\'t believe you can timestretch in Gigastudio, but I might be wrong.
    Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 01-31-2001).]

Re: samples too short / long when pitched up/down

Hey Digital.

You\'ve just discovered the basic principle behind how samplers allow you to play a single sample up and down the note.

It\'s like using a tape recorder.

To get higher pitches the sampler plays the sound back faster (so it\'s duration is shorter). The opposite goes for lower pitches (longer duration).

The traditional way around this with non- percussive sounds is to find an area in the sound where nothing changes too much and loop that area. Then when you hold several notes, they all eventually get to the loop, which will last as long as you hold the keys.

Watch your envelope release too. If it\'s set very long and you have a sound which lasts longer than you need it across the range, you\'ll still get uneven note decays - -because the sound is lasting until its natural end on each key, which takes varying times depending on putch.

If you DO have a longer sample than you need, keeping the envelope release to as short a time as your fastest decaying sample will make everything sound a little more even (again, depending on the type of sound).

With percussive sounds, or other sounds that aren\'t readily loopable, Damon\'s idea or something like a Rolan VP9000 is probably the only answer.

There are also Windows programs like Acid from Sonic Foundry which are great for doing what you want. It\'s called time stretching, where you can change the pitch without changing duration, or even change duration without changing pitch. Its fabulous for getting the most out of your library of drum loops.

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 02-01-2001).]

Go Back to forum