• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is "grand detaches"?

What is "grand detaches"?

I write music, but am fairly uneducated (formally).. so I was wondering what \"grand detaches\" is? I know of the other playing styles.. staccato, agitato, marcato, etc.. but I\'ve never heard of grand detaches, assuming it\'s some sort of playing style on the strings. What is it and what does it sound like?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: What is "grand detaches"?

Detache\' is a french term used to describe a shorter articulation usually employed to perform quick bouncy melodies with a lot of spirit and flare.

The Grand Detache\'s in Gary\'s library are a bit longer lasting with a very strong vibrato and subtle crescendo which add drama and emotion to a string line.

The Grand Detache\' articulations were so good that many users actually preferred them over the regular sustains and prompted Gary to release a \"looped\" Grand Detache for longer lasting sustains as part of the GOS 2002 Update.

Orcas Island

Détaché can refer to both an individual stroke or the technique of alternating bow strokes for each note. It literally means \"detached\" where each note is produced by one separate stroke of the bow. The opposite of détaché is \"legato\" where notes are smoothly connected rather than separated by changes in bow direction.

A string player can play détaché with a portion of the bow (a short détaché) or with the whole bow - from heel to the tip of the bow. Grand Détaché is a long détaché that is produced with a broad bow stroke - using the entire length of the bow for each note.

In GOS, the Grand Détaché can be considered a medium bow, somewhere between a long bow and a short bow. Now that KingIdiot has looped the Grand Détachés in the latest update, they can be used as a long bow (or sustain), as a short bow, or as a medium bow. They are the most popular instrument in the GOS library

Gary Garritan

Thanks, guys!

Go Back to forum