• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hollywood Strings

Share/Bookmark

Hollywood Strings

I\'ve heard that there is to be a major FREE update before Christmas called \"Hollywood strings\". Could anyone involved please tell me a little more about the update?

Re: Hollywood Strings

doesn\'t anyone believe in surprises anymore?

Quickly! Delete the post before anyone sees. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What I\'m curious about is.......which one of you two let the cat out of the bag? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For the GOS ?

Kind of funny, really. I have been working on a little \"Hollywood Strings\" project of my own with GOS. Actually, I have been doing a little, well, research I guess you would call it. I have been listening to many movie orchestral recordings/CDs, and ripping them when I find clear string sections in various ranges and string instrument groups. What I then do is listen to them flat and try to duplicate what they play for a bar or two, then try to 1) get close to their sonic environment (verb tails), and most important of all, 2) try to EQ GOS strings to match the sound of the recording. And what do you know, it works! I try to match using the EQ in GigaStudio, then with a multiband hardware EQ, then with a parametric EQ plugin. Each sounds a bit different, but with a little work I get really close to the reference recording.
    Matter of fact, if anyone knows where I can find a movie recording of only viola playing (a bit of percussion may be OK), and it is something I can get access to, I would like to hear about it.
    After I get my information together, I can make available a Performance file using the GS EQ and any other information I may have learned along the way, if anybody is interested.

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Kind of funny, really. I have been working on a little \"Hollywood Strings\" project of my own with GOS. Actually, I have been doing a little, well, research I guess you would call it. I have been listening to many movie orchestral recordings/CDs, and ripping them when I find clear string sections in various ranges and string instrument groups. What I then do is listen to them flat and try to duplicate what they play for a bar or two, then try to 1) get close to their sonic environment (verb tails), and most important of all, 2) try to EQ GOS strings to match the sound of the recording. And what do you know, it works! I try to match using the EQ in GigaStudio, then with a multiband hardware EQ, then with a parametric EQ plugin. Each sounds a bit different, but with a little work I get really close to the reference recording.
    Matter of fact, if anyone knows where I can find a movie recording of only viola playing (a bit of percussion may be OK), and it is something I can get access to, I would like to hear about it.
    After I get my information together, I can make available a Performance file using the GS EQ and any other information I may have learned along the way, if anybody is interested.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I for one would be really interested in this. I\'ve always wanted to do something like this with my CD library, but I\'ve never really known how to approach it.

I think \"Anikin\'s theme\" from \"Star Wars: Episode I\" has an exposed viola line at the beginning and end. Compared to this recording, the violas don\'t need much adjustment. I\'ve also done this same experiment comparing GOS and soundtracks side by side. I used \"Ilia\'s theme\" from \"Star Trek the motion Picture\" too.

Hey Tokyo Joe!

You SUCK man! Now instead of geting a surprise I\'m just waiting to get the update.
    Partypooper.....LOL!

Alex

Oops, sorry Lex and everyone else too of course!

Hey Doyle, that sounds very interesting indeed and I too would like to \"hear\" more about the techniques you described. Thanks for sharing.

Go Back to forum