• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Need more attack

Share/Bookmark

Need more attack

I really need a quicker attack on my long samples. Switching to the staccato and some of the short bows don\'t always do what I need because the timbre changes so much. I\'ve got the GPC 1 all the way to 0 and still can\'t get my strings to attack fast enough, any suggestions? There is just a slight fade in that takes enough time that I can\'t get my passage out. For example, dotted quarter note followed by 1/8 followed by half. I just need a quick half bow but I can\'t find anyway to get this. It goes by quick enough that I don\'t mind the long bow patch, it\'s just I can\'t get the attack out. Actually changing patches just doesn\'t sound right. Please help me!!

Re: Need more attack

Try using the masking samples, changing their attack to suit

have you tried layering the short bows on top of the long bows?

Ive had the same problem all over this piece I am working on now. I tried increating the GPC for masking samples and didnt notice enough of a difference. Layering gave me a similar problem with timbre. My solution was to push the longbows about 60 units earlier than the beat on which they are heard. Its not great but it worked well enough to pass in a mix.

It would be nice to see a fast attack SusVibEXPLEG. Anyone know if such a thing could be made via an .art file?

-andy
    www.andybrick.com

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat Andy.. I\'ve tried all that stuff and it just won\'t sound right. Quit frusterating [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, I know Gary\'s updating more and more all the time so I\'m sure it will show up one day!!! (ain\'t that right Gar...)

J-

Why do the samples differ so much anyway between stacc. and leg et al. I\'ve been very frusterated with some things where I wanted to switch articulations but the timbre is so different I just can\'t make it work... any ideas how to fix this via ART files or anything???

It\'s probably worth persisting with manipulating the masking samples until you get the attack you want: they have the same timbre as SusV; they have the natural attack portion cut off and in their bare state sound instantly. The attack you hear is the fade-in produced by the Editor. Putting GPC 5 down to 0 will only reduce the attack to that set on the amp. envelope -EG1 tab- (setting this too short won\'t be pretty). -Apart from this I find that with many of the CCs there is a response from GS of >0 with a CC message of 0, and it may be necessary to disengage the attack from GPC 5, -under EG mod.

If you want more control over the masking samples it is easy to harvest them from the Leg instruments by copying the regions and placing them (in the correct key positions) in a new instrument. You can then play them on a seperate sequencer track and layer with SusV/ alter volume/ shift etc. as necessary. They are only 0.5 secs. They come in all dynamics and you can keep a cross-faded Exp version.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    [QB]Why do the samples differ so much anyway between stacc. and leg et al. I\'ve been very frusterated with some things where I wanted to switch articulations but the timbre is so different I just can\'t make it work... any ideas how to fix this via ART files or anything???[/QB

This gets me too. I EQ them separately to match the long bows. I\'ve tried using the GSEdit filters, but they are difficult to use for predictable, consistent results. I\'ve also ended up wave-editing a lot of the samples to change the timbres.

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Oh well, I know Gary\'s updating more and more all the time so I\'m sure it will show up one day!!! (ain\'t that right Gar...)

J-
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s right J.Whaley. But let\'s see if we can get to the bottom of this and find a more immediate solution.

Gary Garritan

And There you have it folks, the attitude that makes Gary so great... we\'ll fix it in the future, but until then we\'re still gonna make it work! I love it!

I\'ll try to work with the Masking Samples. I\'m not real well versed in the editor and tend to mess files up more then actually make them any better... but I\'m afraid it\'s time to face my fears and learn... that\'s the only way to make it all work right! Oh, why can\'t I just hold my music in front of the computer and it does all the work for me?

Go Back to forum