• Register
  • Help

Topic: Software & sample cd's advice

Share/Bookmark

Software & sample cd\'s advice

I\'m going to buy the garritan strings (off course, they are simply the best sampled strings I\'ve ever heard in my life).

I got a couple of questions for the users here:

1. Can you recommend the absolutely best orchestral percussion cd out there ?

2. Can you recommend the absolutely best choir voices cd ?

3. And I want a great horns cd (I think I\'m gonna buy the Sam Horns, but if anyone has other suggestions I\'d be happy to check them out as well.

4. Is Gigasampler the most reliable software sampler out there, or is Kontakt even close, what do you guy\'s think ?
    (I\'m going to use this together with Pro Tools HD3 which runs on a macintosh, but my thought is to have a seperate PC for the gigasampler or any other software sampler system)

Thanks for reading, I hope you can share your experience with me.

Re: Software & sample cd\'s advice

1. LOP.

2. VOTA probably but I can\'t say for sure as I don\'t have it. It depends what sort of choir sound you want.

3. Err SAM Horns? There\'s nothing better...

4. Very hard to answer indeed. In the end it comes down to you; what you want it to do and what you want to do with it. Most of the people here will probably reccomend Giga - this is a Giga forum after all. But that doesn\'t mean its the one for you especially as it seems that you might be more at home with a Mac.

If you want to check out Kontakt then download the demo and try it. Personally I was very disappointed: The interface isn\'t bad (better than Unity and Giga) but it has shortcomings in other areas, like the sample search for instance. Not to mention the fact that its more than a little slanted towards dance music. It needs streaming added (which it will have shortly) just to be a contender.

IMO its between Unity Session, HALion and Giga. The former have the advantage of being all inside the Mac and other things but Giga has the advantage of features and the programming works properly.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know of any good woodwinds cd\'s out there ?

Also Sam horns does only have french horns, right ? In such a case, do you know of any good cd\'s with complemented trombones and trumpets ?

Dan Dean - solo woodwind & ensemble brass. Both highly recommended.

Originally posted by toontrack:
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you know of any good woodwinds cd\'s out there ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">AO has very versatile woodwinds, especially for articulations. For more beautiful playing you\'ll want either Miroslav Solo 1 and 2 or Dan Dean Woodwinds.

Also Sam horns does only have french horns, right ? In such a case, do you know of any good cd\'s with complemented trombones and trumpets ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well I\'m sure you already have SAM Trumpets right? Well for ensemble stuff you\'re well covered enough for now so I would reccomend DDSB for everything else. That way you can play all your brass choir stuff properly and then use the ensembles when you need them. Even in film music solos are more useful as the brass won\'t play in unison much.

AO= Advanced Orchestra, or by its full title: Peter Siedlaczek\'s Advanced Orchestra. Its an old library but is still very useful with many different articulations and for a great price.

DDSB=Dan Dean Solo Brass. Go to dandeanpro.com and check it out. Its several different brass instruments each taking up one or two CDs. You can buy each instrument separately if you like.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

But I couldn\'t really understand the shortenings, i\'m sorry :-)

What does AO and DDSB stand for ?

Go Back to forum