• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Tom Hopkins RAM post

Share/Bookmark

OT: Tom Hopkins RAM post

Tom,

A while back you wrote a very informative post regarding maximum RAM under various configs. I have a gig of RAM under XP/ P4. My template is fast approaching 99% and I vaguely remember the post saying 1 gig might be the limit...

I have tried numerous searches for this post in various parts of the forum using your ID number and various keywords. If I remember correctly though, I believe this post was part of a different thread which fortunately veered off-course.

Any leads as to where it was or opines on more than a gig, with things as they are in GS right now?

Regards,
    Didier

Re: OT: Tom Hopkins RAM post

Didier,

I’m not sure which post that was but I’ll go over what I know. There was quite a bit of discussion some months back concerning XP\'s handling of RAM over 1 gig. In theory, XP should give you access to considerably more RAM (assuming your motherboard can handle it), but in practice many people were having difficulties. In addition to that, XP was actually consuming more RAM resources than Win98 so there was considerable frustration expressed by users. I’ve elected to stay with Win98 for the present so I can’t give any first-hand info here. Perhaps others who are using XP can bring things up-to-date on the XP RAM front. Have there been any workarounds or fixes? Has anyone been able to determine definitively if this is an XP problem or a GigaStudio problem? I think many people have decided to bypass the problem by running multiple machines, each with about 1 gig of RAM. This has the additional benefit of increasing the available polyphony. Downside: cost and increased complexity.

Tom

P.S. You might try doing a search on \"XP\", \"RAM,\" and \"Win98.\"

Tom,

Thanks for the prompt, informative reply. Much appreciated. I will do some more HW. I am running multiple machines already, just trying to squeeze the most out of them......

Regards,
    Didier

Didier,

I\'m using 1.5 without a problem.

Jeannot.

Merçi mille fois (ou mille et cinque cents fois!), Jeannot.

Didier

De rien, Didier.

Originally posted by Jeannot Welter:
    Didier,

I\'m using 1.5 without a problem.

Jeannot.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And your system specs are:

Asus P4B, P4 1.8, 2 IBM 60G, RME Digiface, XP Pro, ACPI enabled,GS160, Logic Audio.
    Let me know if you need further details.

JW.

Peter,

By the way, how do you get samplitude running? I downloaded the demo, almost every time I load a .wav file, the program just quits and closes.
    Is the crossgrade that they advertise in Germany also available in the US?
    Thank you.
    JW.

Go Back to forum