• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Hollywood Strings" and "So it GOS"

Share/Bookmark

"Hollywood Strings" and "So it GOS"

I have created a new song called “So it GOS” as a vehicle to showcase the GOS library, and to demonstrate the use of the “Hollywood Strings” performance File. Rather than post all the information here, a lengthily post, I created a web page with an explanation of the song and instructions for creating the “Hollywood Strings Performance File”.

Find the “So it GOS” and “Hollywood Strings” web page HERE:
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusiclinks/soitgos.htm

For those that want to go right to the music, here is a download link:
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/So_It_GOS.mp3

Anybody NOT able to get to get to the GOS site? Here:
    http://www.garritan.com/home.html

The GOS demo page:
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3.html

Have fun with this!

Re: "Hollywood Strings" and "So it GOS"

Interesting stuff, Doyle! I would like to try out these EQ settings but I don\'t use GOS so I can\'t use the performance file as you\'ve written it. I thought I\'d be able to translate your EQ setting to \'ordinary\' EQ, but I can\'t make head or tail of what they mean:

Effect=127, L=-2 M=-7 H=-3 Handle=750

??

What frequencies are these supposed to be? I assume the values are decibels cut or boosted?

Thanks.

Doyle,

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed your piece very much.

May I humbly add that your writing has improved greatly. I enjoyed the trax on your site, but this is taking it to another level.

Regards,
    Didier

“I thought I\'d be able to translate your EQ setting to \'ordinary\' EQ, but I can\'t make head or tail of what they mean.”

Hey, I don’t know exactly what they mean either, not exactly. The “handle” kinda defines where the middle notch is and how wide, while the EQ is in three zones: Low, middle and high. Zero is base no EQ, but the +/- by increments, increments of what, I do not know. There is not much information in that EQ. Maybe someone else knows more details. Maybe this discussion will bring some answers.

Didier. Hey thanks! Demos are there to show potential, not all there is. Nobody has heard everything yet. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A good example of what kind of “Hollywood Strings” lead violins sound I was shooting for was the last three minutes if “The Glory of Rome” and the main violin line of “The last of the Mohicans”. Among many others. Just a point of reference.

Oh ok, thanks Doyle. So I guess the handle is Q but the others are like low, mid and high frequencies. Can you really EQ stuff so unspecifically? How did you translate SImon Ravn\'s 2000 and 4000 EQ \'drills\' to this?

Does anyone know what the low, mid and high in Giga\'s EQ mean in EQ frequencies? I guess I could make a guess...

Simon\'s hint was the starting point. From there it was listening to Hollywood orchestras and tweaking. Everything was by ear. Too bad the GS EQ is not more informative.

\"Very nice Doyle - definitely the best composition I have heard from you!... I wish you\'d encode it in a higher quality though.\"

Thanks Simon! High praise indeed from one of my favorite guys to listen to. At over six minutes, it was a large file (over 6 megs) to burden anyone with. I will send a high bit-rate version to Gary and anybody else who wants one. It may show up again in the GOS update and on mp3.com. I just noticed (as pointed out by another) a digital blip at about 4:12. Grrrr.

\"What reverb do you use btw? I think the ambiance in this is generally very good\"

Funny you should say so, Simon. Many times I listen to your work/ambiance and my eyes squint and I hiss between clenched teeth, “How does he DO that...?”. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

“...that means it IS NFX doesn’t it?? Wow I am shocked that NFX can sound this good

No no NO!! lol [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I said, for many instruments I START with NFX (to give them a SAM like starting ambient), usually small hall, then layer on top of that, sometimes with up to 4+ verb layers with different combinations of my 6 verb hw units (hardware verbs are still better than any plug-in). The TC M-1 you know about Simon, (you have one I believe) and the others are mostly Alesis.
    One of the reason “So it GOS” sounds as it does is because of the Gtown percussion, and I do not think it can be stressed enough: the realism the Gtown (and SAMs)(real room sound) instruments makes all the OTHER instruments sound more convincing in their acoustic space. If TOB did an entire classical and Hollywood percussion library in that church, I would be first in line to get one. I do not know what it would take to convince him to do this, but count me in if there is a way. I talked to Gary about this, and I may again email TOB with some pitiful pleading. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just to avoid confusion, this isn\'t the so called \"Hollywood strings\" that have been hinted at as being in a new update for GOS.

BTW sounds nice Doyle.

Nope, this is my own project, but may also be a part of the update in one form or another.
    And thanks KI.

Very nice Doyle - definitely the best composition I have heard from you! I really like the use of crotales and the other percussion. I wish you\'d encode it in a higher quality though.

What reverb do you use btw? I think the ambience in this is generally very good - I hope it is not NFX or something)

EDITED: Just read you used \'Small Hall\' setting - that means it IS NFX doesnt it?? Wow I am shocked that NFX can sound this good

Go Back to forum