• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Windows really that lame?

Share/Bookmark

Is Windows really that lame?

Being a former Amiga freak, I can\'t help getting a weird feeling each time I hear people saying that \'installing games and lots of programs on your PC makes it slower. Install nothing but Giga on it\' etc.... Why the h*ll will installing programs make it SLOWER? Is Windows really THAT lame? Afterall, the few entries in the registry should be all that has to be in memory (unless it is only accessed when using the relevant application/game) that could \'slow things down\'. And, the registry entries belonging to a specific application is, AFAIK, only accessed when the app. boots up or shuts down or does some changes to it. E.g. the only reg. entry for a game would be a path to where games are saved or such. How and WHY on EARTH should that be able to interfere with Gigastudio or other programs? And DLL\'s.... are only accessed when the relevant program needs it. And for programs overwriting DLL\'s with its own versions, that should only be able to result in crashing or applications not working. Not applications performing worse. And if that DLLs was that much of a problem, why don\'t programs like Gigastudio only use DLL\'s stored in its own dir (maybe it does)?. Well ... I must say, it\'s hard to believe that Windows is so badly put together compared to good old AmigaOS.... So please tell me that I am wrong, and all that talk about installing many programs on your system makes it slower etc is just nonsense.

Simon

BTW sorry about the doubleposting.

Re: Is Windows really that lame?

Yes it is lame.

Simon,

On a very simple level, the defragmentation of data stored on a local drive, as well as the increase of gluttony in data stored, does contribute to the overall \"slowing down\" of a Windows-based system.

The actual placement location of the program data on the physical drive contributes to the amount of time it takes for data to be read, and the larger the drive, the more data stored on that drive, contributes as well. Data stored at the front of a drive takes less time for the heads to access than if it were stored in the middle or \"back\". Add defragmentation to this, and performance does suffer to varying degrees.

Perhaps the members of this learned forum do not fall victim to such \"basic level\" ailments in their respective systems, but to a newcomer to Windows, that may or may not know these simple things, it could serve as helpful information.

Also remember that Windows\' swap file (virtual memory), it\'s size and implementation, plays an integral part in overall performance as well.

Lastly, RAM, and the amount of it, is another crucial factor in any scenario, but especially in this arena. Always get as much as you can!!!!

Hope this helps...
    (From a former Amiga/Atari user)

Fragmentation of the stuff on your HD should NOT interfere with e.g. the performance of Gigastudio. How much your Quake 3 or your MS Encarta is fragmented on your HD should have NO effect on GS. Not even GS being fragmented should, as the program is just stored in RAM \'forever\' when it\'s loaded. Of course if you put a lot of .gig\'s on your HD, deletes, puts other on etc etc. the files will get more and more fragmented. But that\'s not what I am talking about.

And oh.... my swapfile is not in use. I have set it to a fixed value (128MB) at another HD than my gigs use and I have 640MB RAM, so I can\'t see why my swapfile would be used before I fill up that or at least somewhere in that nieghbourhood.

And oh.... my swapfile is not in use. I have set it to a fixed value (128MB) at another HD than my gigs use and I have 640MB RAM, so I can\'t see why my swapfile would be used before I fill up that or at least somewhere in that nieghbourhood.

I think the bigger problem is that new applications (especially games) will replace existing .DLL\'s and install new multimedia drivers, and this can cause problems with GigaStudio. GigaStudio does seem to be remarkably succeptable to system changes, so I try not to mess with my setup. I stongly advocate getting something like Partition Magic and setting your machine to dual boot--one partition for GigaStudio, one for everything else.

I think it’s the Windows interface that gets slower, which give the perception that Windows is slower. The more things that are installed, the more complex the layout of folders and files; the more complex the registry. Thus, when you click on a menu / right click on something, more information must be gathered/verified before the menu is displayed. This gives the impression that Windows has slowed down. Once you’re in GSt, I don’t think it maters much.

One thing recommended though, is to keep you C:\\Window\\Temp folder cleaned out. These left over files tend to cause trouble.

A simple thing, but one that some might over look:
    I have two configurations set up, allowing me to pick either one on boot up. One is set for giga, with everything not needed by giga shut off, and the other is set for regular use. This really helps a lot.

Well, the bottom line is that we want to push the windows works best for Giga as much as it could. I figured-out that in order to get instantly 160 voice-polyphony based on a system 800~1000Mhz@512MB with 32MB-video and fast-HDrive, good GSIF driver, windows must uses about 75~85% resources. I don\'t know much how DLL\'s being organized (wins98/Me), but reality each applications would takes about 2~10% of system-resources such MS-offices, Video-ulilities, games, internets, etc, even windows-Explorer file-browser would takes 2% (when you open it, before/after). And each percents of them would gives giga about 2 voice-polyphony, is it funny?
    Just a reference, very first time right after you boot the windows, chech the system-performance (under My-Computer, property), you should see about 95~98% available resource, if not, your system is not best tuned for the Giga. You might run msconfig to remove the stuff from the start-up. Bill is right, the C:\\windows\\TEMP where is the temporary folder map to also very important if your disk space is issue (too low), causes some problems. So if you have about more than 1GB for it then it should be fine and basically it will be automatically self-clean after you quit the apps or re-start windows but never be very clean, will be added up more later like windows is not shutdown properly...And might be that is where the Giga and other apps put the sampler-swapping-space to it?
    Anyway, I\'m so busy now. Last comments about it is when you have about 120 voice-polyphony with hi-quality at multiple output channels (8~16 CH) from gigastudio, which is used about 50~60% CPU, you should be happy!
    My two-cent,
    Long\'s Studio

Go Back to forum