• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setup Advice

Share/Bookmark

Setup Advice

I just got my Garritan strings - I am excited and a bit overwhelmed. I just set up a 2nd Gigastudio for strings. I\'m curious what some of the setups you all are using (i.e. how many channels for 1st violins, what patch for sustains). I\'m sure I\'ll figure it out, just wondered how many channels in a practical template you were using. After a few days, I really like the EXP Warm instruments, and the ALT Marcatos and Grand Detaches are really cool.

Anyway, glad to finally be able to post here. I\'m in the middle of a film and am trying to switch over to Garritan to spice up the string parts.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Setup Advice

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to GOS I think you will find it a fascinating library. I started my venture into GOS with the same exact question here on the forum. Check out What is your default GOS setup
    Since that post, I have chatted with Tom and Gary who were nice enough to create a 1/2 RAM and 1/3 RAM version of what I believe are the essentials of each and every string choir. The great part is with these reduced RAM versions you can actually get a full string ensemble into one well equipped PC.

You will soon see that polyphony is going to be a big problem. Even with 160 voices the restrictions imposed by the current Gigastudio architecture and the nature of some of the very polyphony hungry instruments in GOS make it impossible to do a complete string orchestra piece of any significance without rendering some of the midi tracks to audio.

Rumor has it that Giga 3.0 is going to give us more polyphony and solve some of the problems with the architecture but who knows when or if that will materialize.

So, to answer your question, on a one PC machine:

1. Get the 1/2 ram version. It is available as a download. Im not sure where the link is but you can ask Gary. He has assured me that it is currently available to the public.

2. EXP instruments are invaluable and a must have. But polyphony is going to become an issue.

3. If you can swing it without the LEG control you can save dearly on polyphony. When necessary you can fake LEG with CC#17 (release) and CC#83 (length). Its a very costly sacrifice as there are certain things LEG\'s can do that no other patch in this library or any other can replicate (ie legato phrasing of repeated pitchs)

3. If you have another machine with another string library, off load the basses from GOS to free polyphony. The GOS Violins are too powerful to go anywhere else, the Violas too realistic, and given the great variety in the Celli, Basses would be the first place I would cut.

4. VAR instruments, although really powerful, also eat up polyphony so you may want to avoid them on a one machine GOS system.

5. Grand sustains are very good and very kind to polyphony.

You may find that you wind up using more midi channels than you suspect. Again, the architecture underlying functions like EXP and LEG may force you to create a second channel on string sections that go divisi. In my demo piece (see a few posts below) I used many more channels than I thought I would (I think the final number was around 14) Of course I took the approach of having the entire 1/2 RAM set loaded in then used patch changes to select instruments on given channels.

Well, I hope this helps and welcome to GOS

-andy brick
    www.andybrick.com

“4. VAR instruments, although really powerful, also eat up polyphony so you may want to avoid them on a one machine GOS system.”

One correction to Andy’s advice: Even though it’s easy to assume (because of their greater complexity) that the VAR instruments use more polyphony, this is not the case. The VAR instruments make the same polyphony and resource demands as the standard versions. I carefully designed the VARs to give the powerful variability features without having polyphony or resource penalties. This is accomplished by using cross-switching rather than cross-fading between the various layers. They are now my short bows of choice under almost all conditons. You will not always need the VAR features but it’s nice to have them available when you do.

Tom

Ooops sorry I stand corrected

I meant the REL instruments.- A few more cups of coffee and I know I can keep those suffixes straight [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

-Andy

\"Since that post, I have chatted with Tom and Gary who were nice enough to create a 1/2 RAM and 1/3 RAM version of what I believe are the essentials of each and every string choir.\"

I have had NO coffee yet, so, perhaps you could post a link to these versions? Thanks!

And to the new guy above, it takes a LONG time to get familiar and comfortable with this lib, and I am still on the path as well. (It does not help that I am meanwhile also dealing with another complex monster lib (not strings).) But GOS takes realism to a new level.

Thanks for the responses guys, actually after a few days I\'ve got a pretty solid setup going.

As far as the 1/2 RAM, Gary responded to my email and said that it\'s not quite ready yet but will be posted on his site soon. A personal response from Gary himself - how\'s that for customer service!

Maestros:

\"Reduced RAM versions of GOS\" have been posted under a thread of the same name (see below - or above) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary

Go Back to forum