• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slides Toolbox...

Share/Bookmark

Slides Toolbox...

The slides toolbox patches take God awful long to load, and sometimes, they just don\'t load, and I have to reset my giga setup and not use them in my composition. What up with that? Tom and Gary?

Haha, Tom and Gary. *ahem* Sounds like Tom and Jerry? Haha? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Re: Slides Toolbox...

Not sure Aaron. I\'ve tested it on both of my giga systems and loading the entire Slides Toolbox takes about 20 seconds. Each of the individual nested patches take between 3 and 7 seconds. I\'m getting identical performance on both systems. I repeated the experiment several times with consistent results. That makes your problem a little difficult to isolate from my end.

Tom

Well, the thing is, several people on this forum have this problem as well. I\'ve heard from Andy Brick, and MartinL as well as Haydn. The cello slides do load up fine, even though they take several minutes, but the Violin slides simply don\'t load, or seem to take over half and hour which is ridiculous.

I\'m using Windows 2000. How can tweak my PC to make full use of Gigastudio?

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    Well, the thing is, several people on this forum have this problem as well. I\'ve heard from Andy Brick, and MartinL as well as Haydn. The cello slides do load up fine, even though they take several minutes, but the Violin slides simply don\'t load, or seem to take over half and hour which is ridiculous.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Half an hour to load? You\'re a patient man, Aaron. I wouldn\'t even know that it took that long \'cos I would have thrown my computer out the window after two minutes. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Composing is a patient exercise. BUT I\'M SICK OF BEING PATIENT!! (*throws computer*) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

C\'mon now, there must be an answer to this.

Ok, let’s see if we can gather some useful information to help track down the problem. Let’s start with some system information – I’ll go first, since neither of my systems has a problem with Slides Toolbox. Each of my dedicated systems has:

PIII 700
    768 Megs RAM
    Win98 SE
    GigaStudio version 2.52.05

Questions:

1. Do the load times remain consistently slow if you are only loading instruments from the Slides Toolbox or does the problem just happen after other instruments are loaded?

2. Did this problem exist from the start (the release of the last update) or has it begun since you made some change to your system?

If we can get several people to contribute information maybe we can spot something each of you has in common with your system or procedures.

Tom

Tom,

I believe the issue is centered around Win2000/XP. I\'m using XP and have noticed long load times on certain instruments. The slides toolbox takes me about 2 minutes to load in XP. I\'m pretty positive that Tascam has some issues to work out still with Win2K and XP.

Another thing - some of the instruments don\'t always take a long time to load until I get to 50% memory used.

Sorry to butt in and move off at a tangent...Tom, i have a similar set up to you, but I hear that 98SE won\'t use all 768 meg of RAM, but there are ways to force it to..I looked it up on the Microsoft support site but it seemed to be written in Hindi..at least I couldn\'t make any sense of it (being a Mac person). Are these \'rumors\' about Ram usage true?
    Thanks
    Brett

Brett,

So, you wandered into the Microsoft Department of Obfuscation, huh? Murky waters there. I can only give you my experience with the two dedicated computers – they both seemed to successfully utilize the extra RAM when I increased them from 512M to 768M. I was able to load about 50% more samples although it is difficult to judge these things with any precision. From posts on this site I gather most people are successful up to about 1 gig of RAM and then often encounter problems above that. I’m sure there are many hardware/software variables here though.

Tom

Originally posted by Brett Rosenberg:
    Sorry to butt in and move off at a tangent...Tom, i have a similar set up to you, but I hear that 98SE won\'t use all 768 meg of RAM, but there are ways to force it to..I looked it up on the Microsoft support site but it seemed to be written in Hindi..at least I couldn\'t make any sense of it (being a Mac person). Are these \'rumors\' about Ram usage true?
    Thanks
    Brett
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Do a Search on this forum with some keywords like \"vcache, Win98, Ram, memory\". This has been discussed very often before.

Window 98 will accept all the Ram you throw at it up to 1 Gb. Make sure, though, that you first set the [vcache] section in System.ini to a fixed setting, like:

[vcache]
    MinFileCache=32768
    MaxFileCache=32768

If you do not to this, Windows can give boot problems if you put in more than 512 Mb. This is a well-documented feature from Win95/98/ME.

Above 1 Gb Ram Microsoft promises you chances of instability, but it may be worthwhile to experiment if you have some additional Dimms at hand.

Success,
    Peter

PS: going from 512 to 1024 Mb on a Win98 system is a very effective investment. Nearly all additional memory is made available to GigaStudio, unlike on XP systems, where the operating system gives you a \"thank you very much\" and keeps part of it for itself...

Go Back to forum