• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Noisy MAC

Share/Bookmark

Noisy MAC

I have 3 GS computers, one of them is dedicated to GOS. For sequencing I do use a MAC. Since I do use Altiverb, I did buy myself a new MAC G4 1.25 MH dual CPU. My computers are in a separated, ventilated cabinet, but the new MAC is so noisy, that I have the feeling that someone is permanently passing the vaacum cleaner in my house! I tought the machine was defect, but then I did read douzends of complaints about this matter on the Internet.

Are there some others which have the same problem? Is there existing any companies who sell replacement fans -which is really very bad on a 4500.-$ machine-...., as there is for the PC? Or is there a friend of Steven Jobs reading this, in order to ask him if his getting unsain to try to sell machines like this :-)

IGOR

Re: Noisy MAC

Originally posted by IGOR:
    Is there existing any companies who sell replacement fans -IGOR
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">IGOR,

I too have suffered from the noisy MAC syndrome and have had very good results with the ultra-quiet fans by PC Power & Cooling. Then there are more drastic measures. e.g. cases you can encase your MAC in, or long Extenders so you can place your MAC in the garage. Good Luck.

Gary

HAhahahaha!!! Sorry I couldn\'t resist but laugh at Gary\'s suggestion of putting the Mac in the garage!!! In my case, my garage and my studio are at opposite ends of the house, so I was just imagining how much trouble I would need to go through to start up the Mac... heheheheheh... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

On a serious note though, there are a lot of mods you can do to your Mac. Try a search for noisy PCs etc on the Sound-on-Sound forum at http://www.sospubs.co.uk

Fan noise are usually aggravated if there are things in the way, such as loose wires etc. Try giving your fan a wipe and move all wires out the way and see what happens??

meeehoon

THANKS GARY, THANKS MEEEHON for your anwer and advices. I did allready send some mails for info about the stuff I have to get in order to make a silent Mac!

My garage is 3 floors down and also on the other end of the house. Would maybe be a replacement for Jogging :-)

Hi Mac Users,

I just did discover something: The new G4 does the terribly loud noise only when running system 9.2. With system 10.2 it is still noisy but more or less acceptable if in a separate cabinet........or in the garage ;-)

Unfortunately my MOTU soundcard do not support system 10 yet :-(

My PC is noisy. I don\'t like it. Grr.

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    My PC is noisy. I don\'t like it. Grr.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Get a Mac. I understand that Apple is now offering Macs with remotely located garages as alternative to expensive silencing accessories [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by Garritan:
    Originally posted by IGOR:
    [qb]Is there existing any companies who sell replacement fans -IGOR
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary,
    I checked out the link, would you mind telling me which one of the fan/power supplies is used for the Mac dual 1 ghz?

Rick

Wow... the G5\'s are so fast??? The only thing I don\'t like about Apple is that they don\'t release any \"teaser\" info... It hits you overnight!!! I have many friends who bought G4s and found out the new model, which came out a day later, could be had for the same price!!! ehhehehe...

meeehoon

Lee,

My computers ARE in a separate, closed and ventilated room, build especially for this purpose. But I still can hear the new G4(!!!!) when running system 9.2. While shutting this machine down and my other 4 computers are running, there is complete silence in my studio.This is the problem! I did read on the Internet that the new G4 has now the nickname \"windblower\"

But after reading what you wrote, maybe we have to even consider building a special house for our computers [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

By the way. I do have a KVM switcher from

http://www.networktechinc.com

and I can recomend this for being really good. Mine is the universal modell, the one you can mix Mac\'s and PC\'s all on the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. And it does work very well!

Go Back to forum