• Register
  • Help

Topic: maestro problem - please help

maestro problem - please help

I\'ve been using Maestro successfully until recently. But then I switched to a Creamware Luna II card and Gigastudio 2.5 - all still under Win98SE. Now I can\'t get it to work again [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] As before, Cubase VST runs on the same machine. Here\'s what the setup:
    Cubase\'s midi IN is the Luna card, Cubase\'s midi OUT goes to maestro. (This is set by SetupMME.)Maestro\'s hardware IN is set to NONE. Giga\'s midi IN is set to maestro.
    Isn\'t this the basically how it should work?

What happens is this: When I launch the 3 programs (Cubase is NOT launched from inside Giga), everything starts up ok. But once a midi signal is generated by the keyboard the whole system freezes.

When I don\'t use Cubase and set maestro\'s hardware IN to the Luna card, everything works fine. So maestro does not seem to be broken.

Maybe I just forgot something crucial that I used to do correctly before my hardware upgrade. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: maestro problem - please help

Hi Joe,
    I would make the guess that you started Cubase before Gigastudio. What would likely happen in that case is that Cubase will grab all the midi inputs, thereby preventing Gigastudio from being able to open the Marble (maestro) midi Ins. Of course this is bad because it would prevent GS from receiving signals, but much worse it that when you play a midi note, the note will go out the marble drivers, then back into Cubase (since it grabbed the marble Input), then back out, then back in, and so on forever, thereby freezing the computer.
    Try starting Gigastudio first, then Cubase and let me know if that works. I can\'t be sure that\'s what happened, but it seems fairly likely.
    Also, in Cubase I think you may be able to deselect using the Marble Ins as one of the menu options for midi, though I\'m not sure offhand if that works as it ought to. I\'d just recommend startnig GS first.

Thank you very much, Jeff!! I will try your suggestion tonight and let you know the results by tomorrow. I appreciate your input!

Yep, everything works fine if I start Cubase first. I have no idea why I didn\'t experience this problem with my old setup, but that\'s not important. I\'m just glad that it doesn\'t freeze anymore.
    Best regards, Jens.

Go Back to forum