• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The New Updates that I've been working on

The New Updates that I\'ve been working on

Here\'s a little taste of what I\'ve been doing.

I want you guys first to understand that this is still beta, its not fully finished, I\'m working through to get it done today hopefully.

Theres a bit to do with the hard attacks on the low strings, as well as some slight tuning issues, and then on to the crazy looping that I have to do. I\'ve got to do phase coherant looping accross multiple files, because I\'m trying to impliment a kind of vibrato control I\'ve been working with. It works, but to loop, I have to make sure they are exactly the same accross multiple files. Looping is generally a quickie for me, so this wont take as long as many would think, but its still longer than just basic looping.

This is with no EQ, just out of giga, I\'ve put it through a reverb I\'m going to impulse for everyone. This is do to the mix of non EQ I want in the dry signal, and the EQ\'d ambience tweaks I\'m doing. Also, I dont belive in the way the release triggers would work with how I\'ve desinged these patches. Not to mention it would take more time to do. I\'ve got a little more tweaking to do on the verb, then it\'ll be done. Mainly EQ.

Also last thing, the strings are each one patch. One for each sections, so the variation you hear in the attacks is due to velocity sensetivity. Its actually very playable. You get Standard \"exp\" control as well as Attack intensity in one patch.

First few seconds is the real thing, then the GOS updates with orchestration.

I\'m sorry that this has delayed the Xmas update. Gary wanted you guys to get it on Xmas, but I just didn\'t want to rush this thing, not to mention I kept getting new ideas and little setbacks.

As for time it will be done. I\'m hoping today, but I\'m running on no sleep. You guys are lucky the g/f is with her parents, I can work through Xmas [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At the latest it will be done the end of this week. Since I\'ll be able to tweak and play with them a bit more if I do that. Lots of little phasing issues to worry about.

extra tidbits,

I\'m still not extremely happy with how the forte 1st violins sound in this beta. There may be need for a little more tweaking. In this mockup both 1st and seconds are playing, but I can hear a little bit of icky-ness in the 1st\'s tone. I\'ll do away with that.

These are not chromatically sampled instruments. They are meant to be patches you can load in one giga machine and get good results out of.

There are only two dynamics of sustains Piano and Forte, but they work well in exp mode for Xfading.

The patches shouldn\'t be more than 120-150MB each

They will be \"already panned\" when they are done. In this demo the violins are slightly left, about 5 in giga terms, the violas are at 10, and the cellos are panned a bit more.

There are no Basses in this demo, and maybe I\'ll throw one up soon. I\'ve pushed them farther back so they sit \"behind\" things better.

I\'m hoping these will turn into \"go to\" patches for you \"big hollywood sound\" guys that have the full version.

I\'m quite impressed with how the piano stuff sounds myself. I\'ll throw up a demo of the violins and violas playing layered soon. Its quite nice.

Re: The New Updates that I\'ve been working on

Thanks Ashif! Thanks for the hard work and extra effort!

Orcas Island

Twas the night before Xmas,
    and all through the house,
    Ashif was busy working
    with computer and mouse.
    The samples were strung
    in the editor with care,
    In hopes that the updates
    would soon be here.
    Northern Sounds people
    were snug in their beds,
    While Ashif\'s donned headphones
    over his head.

No g/f in nighty,
    But some eggnog nightcap,
    Ashif won\'t be getting
    his long winters nap.

He edited notes
    throughout the long night,
    His eyes went ablur,
    but sleep he did fight
    \"More eggnog might help\"
    he said with a shiver
    \"I\'ll get these updates done,
    I\'m gonna deliver\".

Now the morning of of Christmas,
    the samples are mastered,
    But out on the floor,
    Ashif lay plastered.
    When out in the newsgroup
    there arose such a chatter
    I logged onto the forum
    to see what was the matter.

\"Yo Dasher!\", \"Yo Hasen\", \"Yo Z6\", \"Yo Munsie,
    \"Yo Maarten\", \"Yo \"Bruce\",\"Yo Peter\",\"Yo Sharmy\",
    \"Yo Meehoon\",\"Yo Tob\",\"Yo Midphase\",\"Yo PatS\",\"Yo RickD\",
    \"Yo PaPa\", \"Yo Dan\", \"Yo Kip\", \"Yo JoE\"
    \"And Roman, Michiel, Haydn, dwdonehoo, Francis, Jamey, Aaron, Dave and Tom,\"
    \"And the rest of you too!\"
    \"Here are the updates, this job is through\"
    With the samples completed
    he vanished from sight
    But you could hear him laughing
    with all of his might.

It\'s good to have a Santa
    who gives to us all
    Merry Christmas Ashif,
    You went beyond the call!

And I heard Ashif say
    as he went on his way,

what a wonderful xmas rhyme!!

merry christmas to all of you [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

69 Lois Lane, Metropolis

Hi King,

As always, a tremendous job, and my appreciation is beyond words! In the demo you posted, is it me, or is there something very out of tune? I wasn\'t sure which instrument it is (sounds like the GOS strings), but something sounds a bit flat.

... and about the demo: It\'s pretty close King! Looking (sounding) good!

Get to bed King, that\'s an order! We\'ll get the updates when they\'re good and ready. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is it just me, or does the real part sound a little strange? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

... I think it\'s just you.

I agree, the strings sound very nice! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Great work King.

Go Back to forum