• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS lite

GOS lite

I need some help. A fraise, which supposed to be smooth transition of one note to the other, sounds like one is beginning a bow on each note, which renders my fraise like the japanese little-kids are playing it. I think I am talking about attack time to short, and release time also. I understand that legato is a difficult thing to do and that we second class citizens of Lite, do not have this available to us. However, I do have some \"legato strings\" SF, which is doing an acceptable job, and, as far as I can tell, by using longer attack and release times.
    Is it possible to do this with my Lite?
    Please do not advise me to buy the full version, I would love to, but my pension-size will never cover it. I am looking for a not perfect but better legato than I can do now. I have bought the GS Mastering CDs, but so far it is Chinese for me, so a step by step description of how I can do this (if it is possible at all) would be a lifesaver.

Thanks, and happy New Year Garry and Tom.

Re: GOS lite

“Lite” users are definitely not second class citizens, they just need to accomplish the job with fewer tools and know how to get the most out of what is available to them. Very effective results can be achieved with the Lite library. Here are some of the things you can try for a more convincing legato from the Lite long bows:

1. GPC-1 (cc#16) controls attack envelope speed. Higher values give slower attack times. Since this is a MIDI controller you can draw the data into a sequencer track with values adjusted as needed (even on a note-by-note basis if necessary).

2. Once the passage has been recorded into your sequencer experiment with note overlaps to “fill in” the attack rise time of the following note. Some sequencers (like Logic) have a real-time function called “gate” that can allow you to control note lengths globally for very quick trial.

3. Unfortunately, GigaStudio, in its present form, doesn’t allow independent MIDI control of both attacks and releases. They can be combined for simultaneous control but rarely with ideal results for both envelopes – which makes it an impractical solution. But, using the Instrument Editor, you can highlight all regions and layers in a given instrument and lengthen the release times for all samples and then save the results. You may even want to save this as a separate instrument (through copy and paste). The Editor will allow you to hear the results as you adjust the release times so you’ll be able to dial it in as you listen to the passage. If you need more detailed instructions contact me directly and I’ll step you through the procedure. You can do that through the \"Send New Private Message\" function at the top of the reply or through Gary, who has my contact information.

One last thought: Give Dave’s GigaStudio Mastery some more time. Let his information sink in (through repetition) and try following along while actually duplicating everything he demonstrates. It’s worth the effort even if it feels uphill at times. This is an area where knowledge really is power. If you understand the way GigaStudio and (especially) the Instrument Editor work you will have the tools to solve problems like these and customize Giga instruments to suit your personal requirements. Stick with it.

P.S. I hope 2003 is a terrific year for you too.

Re: GOS lite

I\'ll second what Tom says. GOS Lite is amazing, I\'ve gotten huge mileage out of it. Just like GOS Advanced, it takes time to learn tricks to squeeze more out of it.

Go Back to forum