• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Garritan lite AKAI library

Question about Garritan lite AKAI library

i have a question. i bought the GOS AKAI lite and use it together with Halion and Cubase SX. I have a Keyboard but only with Pitch Wheel. The Garritan strings have also fxp\'s for vibrato and warmth and so on.

Can i use my pitch wheel as a mod wheel in Halion and if yes, how can i make the strings articulate the vibrato or warmth with this pitchwheel?

I would be thankful for an answer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Question about Garritan lite AKAI library

Sorry, but the pitchwheel is the wrong tool for the job. Pitchwheels are spring-loaded, center-return controllers, essentially dispensing negative/positive data relative to this center “0” position. Mod wheels are not. While it would be possible to remap controller data in your sequencer (I\'m not familiar with the exact capabilities of CubaseSX in this area), the pitchwheel would still be unsuitable for this use.

Other possibilities: You could “draw” mod wheel (cc#1) controller data into your tracks, after the fact, to control EXP and other instruments. You could also place other controller data into your tracks for such things as WARM filter control, attack envelope control, volume, MIDI expression (internal volume), etc.

Setting up a switching arrangement (remapping controllers) to control mod wheel functions from the pitchwheel would be extremely awkward. Don’t make yourself crazy, buy a keyboard that includes the necessary tools for the job. It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg – several manufacturers are now offering very inexpensive keyboards with pitchwheel, mod wheel, plus assignable hardware faders for additional controllers of your choice.

yes okay, thx first, but now another thing with the GOS lite in AKAI format.

when i draw a mod curve on my midi track, it seems that the sound doesnt change really, i checked everything...i dunno

you have, for instance, the sustain and the sustain/vibrato, how can i get the strings to play the soft vibrato ?

You may not find this too helpful, but get a keyboard with a mod wheel!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough! It\'s a must if you\'re going to be dealing with Giga samples. I had a Roland XP-80 that had a mod stick.. it sucked. It was spring loaded like the pitch wheel. Plus the sticks never have the precision the wheels do. You just won\'t get the dynamic control by drawing that you will with a physical wheel.

Just my opinion.

Orcas Island

It is my understanding that crossfading in Halion isn\'t fully implemented. I hear that in the next version of Halion this will feature will be vastly improved. There is a workaround to achieve crossfading with two layers.

To crossfade between vibrato and non-vibrato samples, you will need to set up the non-vibrato samples and the vibrato samples in separate folders. Select the non-vibrato sample layer. Then select Mod Wheel as the Source on the modulation page and apply an amount of 100 and set \'Volume\' as the Destination. Next, select the vibrato samples. Select Mod Wheel as the Source on the modulation page , and apply an amount of -100 and \'Volume\' as the Destination. This should give you an operational crossfade. You can also use the same technique to crossfacde between different dynamic levels ( mp & mf samples).

This method may not be as elegant as GigaStudio, but it should work. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

yes, this really helped. thx guys and especially gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

this will improve my knowledge, i think its better to get a good midi keyboard and then hit the **** [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] the rest is experience and time...

though i am a guitar player and never cared about keyboards before. do i need just a cheap masterkeyboard with just the mod wheel or is it better to have more lfos and other fancy stuff ???

also i tried to work with programm change to get sort of the direct switch between sustain and (for example) tremolo. it worked okay, though i need a lot of reprogramming, but thats another story [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You can just get a decent MIDI keyboard with a mod wheel and a few sliders, with no sounds. How about this one? This controller rocks!

Except my only gripe is that it\'s 61 keys. I like to have at least 76.

looks good...thx

so, lets see how much money will bring my old kawai k3. then i can buy a midi controller [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum