• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Velocity on EXP Patches

Re: Key Velocity on EXP Patches

The EXP instruments will not respond to key velocity. They are programmed this way, so one can emulate \"real\" volume response using the mod wheel. This way, with the mod wheel at 0 you get the a more \"correct\" volume of the pianissimo samples, and at 127 its a more \"correct\" volume of the forte samples

Thanks......now if that is the case, help see if the following is correct. In an EXP sample, CC#1 (mod wheel) is set to crossfade dynamic samples. If you change CC#11 (MIDI Expression), however, this does NOT have the same effect in that the crossfades do not occur? Whatever sample you are on at the moment has it\'s expression control changed. If that happens to be a loud sample the timbre of that sample will be maintained. Correct?

Key Velocity on EXP Patches

I\'m a new user and am tremendously impressed with this product. Gary has been great and this product is terrific. The quality and flexibility is amazing.

Anyway, here\'s my question. I am trying to understand the best way to use GOS. I have been experimenting with the relationship between CC#1 (mod wheel), CC#11 (MIDI Expression), CC#7 (MIDI Volume) and Key Vekocity. In reading through the posts I came across the following wonderful explanation that Tom H. wrote in Jan, 2002:

\"Keep in mind that our \"expression\" control, or \"EXP,\" is outside the MIDI spec. Mod wheel (cc#1) EXP controls the transitions between crossfaded layers on designated instruments. Cc#11 (MIDI expression) controls the volume level within an instrument. Here\'s how it\'s meant to work in the MIDI spec: The overall level of an instrument is set with cc#7 (MIDI volume). Continuous dynamic changes in volume, on the other hand, are controlled with cc#11. The advantage of separating these is that if you have drawn a lot of crescendos and diminuendos into your part and later decide to make an adjustment in the overall level of the instrument (cc#7), those dynamic changes within the instrument (cc#11) remain intact. With a GOS EXP instrument they are best used as follows:

1. Use cc#7 to set the overall level of the instrument.

2. Use mod wheel EXP to play in realistic expression. Because the instrument crossfades between real p, mp, mf, and f layers this not only controls volume changes, but also timbre and vibrato intensity changes that occur naturally when real players play louder or softer.

3. Use cc#11 to touch-up continuous volume changes. (e.g. Since the EXP control only allows you to get as soft as the players at the original session, if you want a diminuendo to \"disappear\" into silence, you could use cc#11 to accomplish that.)\"

Anyway, I have been experimenting with this and everything appears to work as Tom suggested. Key Velocity seems to work fine too except for EXP samples. I tried running a test. If, for instance, I play a scale alternating heavy & light keystrokes with the 1st Vln SusV patch enabled I get what I expect (I verified that CC\'s 1, 7 & 11 are set to 127 even though CC#1 is not mapped). I then play it again with the 1st Vln SusV EXP samples active (again I verify that CC\'s 1, 7 & 11 are set to 127) and the key velocity appears to have little or no effect. What am I doing wrong?

Go Back to forum