• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orphica?

Share/Bookmark

Orphica?

Does anyone have or know of a source for Orphica sound files? (and orphica is basically a small toylike piano that was briefly popular circa 1797). I know there's one outfit that claims to have them, but have come up empty on attempts to get them in any kind of useable form.

The reason I'm asking is that Beethoven wrote a short sonata (WoO 51) for this goofy instrument. There are no recordings of it on the orphica, and so at The Unheard Beethoven we'd like to get a synthesized version using orphica sound files. Anyone willing and able to help us out (or prepare an mp3 using the orphica files from a midi) that would allow us to use it on the website will obviously get full credit.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Mark Zimmer, Project Director, The Unheard Beethoven http://unheardbeethoven.org

Re: Orphica?

A quick search found this:

http://www.soundstosample.com/info/r...n_Beurmann/628

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt View Post
    Does anyone have or know of a source for Orphica sound files? (and orphica is basically a small toylike piano that was briefly popular circa 1797). I know there's one outfit that claims to have them, but have come up empty on attempts to get them in any kind of useable form.

The reason I'm asking is that Beethoven wrote a short sonata (WoO 51) for this goofy instrument. There are no recordings of it on the orphica, and so at The Unheard Beethoven we'd like to get a synthesized version using orphica sound files. Anyone willing and able to help us out (or prepare an mp3 using the orphica files from a midi) that would allow us to use it on the website will obviously get full credit.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Mark Zimmer, Project Director, The Unheard Beethoven http://unheardbeethoven.org

Quote Originally Posted by caher View Post
    Yes, that's the one I am aware of but it's not in any format that I can use. If someone has that and it's workable for them, I'd like to hear from them.

Yes, that's the one I am aware of but it's not in any format that I can use. If someone has that and it's workable for them, I'd like to hear from them.
    While I have Kontakt 5, I haven't purchased that sample set. It is somewhat pricey for what it is, a niche sound with limited usefulness. I suspect that they have sold very few, if any, copies. You may want to reach out to the original sample developer:

feedback@realsamples.de

Another approach would be to extract the audio from one of the several youtube videos and use an audio editor to isolate individual note samples. These could then be built into a soundfont or sfz file for playback in Aria, etc. This approach would many hours of work and the result would not be as satisfactory as the sampleset from Realsamples.

If all else fails, you could purchase the set and loan it to me or another Kontakt user to render the piece for you.

Good luck with this project. This type of thing is near and dear to me. My wife is a baroque/classical era violinist specializing using original instruments and bows. Harpsichordist Albert Fuller introduced her to me 35 years ago and the rest is history.

Chris

Looking a little deeper at the Realsamples site, it appears as if the product supplies the wav samples in addition to the Kontakt, Halion and EX24 instruments. No need to extract samples for youtube! A soundfont or SFZ for Aria can be created from these.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by caher View Post
    While I have Kontakt 5, I haven't purchased that sample set. It is somewhat pricey for what it is, a niche sound with limited usefulness. I suspect that they have sold very few, if any, copies. You may want to reach out to the original sample developer:

feedback@realsamples.de

Another approach would be to extract the audio from one of the several youtube videos and use an audio editor to isolate individual note samples. These could then be built into a soundfont or sfz file for playback in Aria, etc. This approach would many hours of work and the result would not be as satisfactory as the sampleset from Realsamples.

If all else fails, you could purchase the set and loan it to me or another Kontakt user to render the piece for you.

Good luck with this project. This type of thing is near and dear to me. My wife is a baroque/classical era violinist specializing using original instruments and bows. Harpsichordist Albert Fuller introduced her to me 35 years ago and the rest is history.

Chris

Thanks very much for the suggestion to contact the developer; I emailed them and they said they'd be happy to do one for us. So this is solved.

Great! I was hoping that they could either help out or point you to someone who could. I'm looking forward to hearing the result.

Chris

Thanks very much for the suggestion to contact the developer; I emailed them and they said they'd be happy to do one for us. So this is solved.

Go Back to forum