• Register
  • Help

Topic: Message to Gary

Share/Bookmark

Message to Gary

Hello Gary,

I would like to know what are your next projects [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Take care,

Re: Message to Gary

Hi Mathieu,

We\'re working on the solo strings library. We have undergone extensive R&D and expect to be doing things that have never been done before with samples. We can\'t give a time for release just yet.

Then we are working on a nice surprise which we will share in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, the next updates are in replication and will be shipped shortly.

Gary Garritan

Now we\'re talk\'n!

A new question for Gary!

I read on a post on tascum page saying that you are going to re release your libray in 24 bit in the near future!( like weeks from now) can you confirm this because I was about 2 days away from purchasing the advanced libray and would be frustrated to find that I\'d have to either purchase the new library or have reinstall a buncha disks... (Or is this part of the free upgrades that we read about?) Love your product and hopefully will join the family real soon!

Thanks

Hi žETH ,

I have not decided whether to do a 24bit version yet. And it probably will be longer than \"weeks from now\" if we eventually do decide to do a 24bit version. There was a post inviting input as to whether to do 24bit versions. Let me know what your thoughts are. I\'ll copy the post here:

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Initially the GOS library will be in 16 bit for the initial Kontakt and EXS24 versions. We are also considering offering the GOS library in 24 bit. GigaStudio 3.0 will support 24bit and Kontakt and EXS24 have such support now.

The upside is that 24bit offers greater resolution. However, experts report that there is little discernable difference in perceived sound quality between a 24bit file and one that has been properly dithered to 16bit (using, say, UV22 or POW-r). There would also be substantial hits on performance and resources if 24 bit files were used.

If I decide to go 24bit, it would also be possible to also use the far-miked samples (done at the time of recording). Or perhaps use both far miked and intermediate-miked sample to allow the user to adjust between them (like Dan Dean & EWQLSO). One of the downsides is that a 24bit version will increase the size of the library by 50% to 150%. Such a project would be an enormous undertaking. Given the plethora of orchestral libaries coming on the market, there are market realities to consider. It may be wiser to devote the time and energy to other avenues instead.

Let me know what you think.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">For the time being you won\'t have to \"purchase the new library or have reinstall a buncha disks\". Hope this answers your question. Looking forward to you joining the GOS family!

Gary Garritan

I\'d have to say that MR. Gary is the kewlest kat in the house [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You really have a sense that you care about all of us and you can tell a lot of thought and foresight went into your plan of making your string library. I for one am continuely amazed at the quality and time and energy you put forth into such a professional sounding library. It brings me much joy to see an honest and hard working individual doing all he can to help out and make a great product. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions and having a wonderful aditude towards us. I really do not feel like you are just trying to come up with a quick buck from all of us like some retailers do. I apriciate all you have done and I\'ll be calling you soon to join on with the rest of the GOS family! (Thanks to all who make products like GOS possible from the ground up!)

Seth [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary,

have you actually released 24 bit versions to anyone yet?

I only ask because of this post on the Tascam forum, where the guy\'s going on about the incredible difference between 16 and 24 bit versions of various libraries, including GOS.

Originally posted by Oliver Vessey:
    Gary,

have you actually released 24 bit versions to anyone yet?

I only ask because of this post on the Tascam forum, where the guy\'s going on about the incredible difference between 16 and 24 bit versions of various libraries, including GOS.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The poster, earthling, on the Tascam forum is mistaken. Maybe he was refering to the sound of the libraries in the respective samplers.

GOS is not available in 24bit. The Bardstown Bosendorfer is available 24bit for other formats, and I\'m not sure about Vienna. We\'re now deciding whether to undertake a 24bit version.

PS: Very strange thread on the Tascam forum. Did you see the celebguy_dv\'s post marketing some sort of celeb sample library? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Did you see the celebguy_dv\'s post marketing some sort of celeb sample library?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

it\'s been removed now, but I couldn\'t miss it before - he posted to every topic in every forum on the site... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up Gary.

PS I would personally prefer to see Garritan Solo Strings released over a 24 bit GOS (on what, 60 CDs???).

However, the far-mic\'ed stuff sounds intriguing...

Go Back to forum