• Register
  • Help

Topic: upgrade, kontakt ,questions ,and a problem

Share/Bookmark

Re: upgrade, kontakt ,questions ,and a problem

Mark,

I’ll let Gary answer the upgrade question but I’m sure an attractive path will be made available.

. . . but the question is if you( and I ) go with Kontakt will I lose any of the qualities that make your Strings special.

We hope to retain all salient features of the full Giga library, if possible. Just how different the Kontakt version becomes depends on the results of our R&D and the capabilities of Kontakt at the time of the release of the library. Keep in mind that Native Instruments is moving very quickly with the evolution of Kontakt and we are not sure exactly how this will be reflected in the eventual library.

I am having 2 difficulties with the Strings. One, I seem to be unable to activate the keyswitches with my Peavy and if I if I down my Karma 2 octives I still am unable to keyswitch. Other programs (AO) work fine however they locate their switches in a different locationn then you do. Could this be due to the midi notes that my Peavy is sending. They do not even show up in Giga\'s keyboard window in the lower registers. To make things real strange if I use the autochord function in the peavy all notes play and show up in Giga. I am working on the programing of the Peavy but any insight would heip. Thanks in advance for answering this this tome.

You don’t mention if you are using a sequencer in your system. It’s easier to troubleshoot problems like this if you have a sequencer between your controller keyboard and GigaStudio (either on the same computer or on a dedicated one). The sequencer will allow you to easily monitor the incoming MIDI data from your keyboard and send test data on to GigaStudio if it becomes necessary. For instance, you could record note data into the sequencer to verify that your controller keyboard is transmitting correctly. You can also place keyswitch notes into sequencer tracks to test octave placement (and eliminate the keyboard as a variable). If you don’t have a sequencer then try experimenting with the data you can see in GigaStudio. Notice that the keyswitch notes for any keyswitched instrument appear purple on the GigaStudio keyboard graphic. If you don’t see the purple keys then you haven’t loaded a keyswitched instrument. Play on your keyboard in the standard range of the instrument (the white and black keys on the computer graphic). Locate the lowest note (e.g. G3 for violins) in the standard range. As you play, the graphic for that note should turn blue. Only the standard range notes change color when played, not the keyswitch notes. Once you have located this lowest standard note on your controller keyboard you will be able to determine how far down the keyswitches are located by comparing that to the graphic.

One last thing Why stay with your product when there are an increasing number of competitve products out now. Thanks MARK

That’s a question that you’ll need to answer for yourself by examining the choices and comparing their strengths and weaknesses to your needs. You are quite correct that the field of orchestral libraries has become very competitive. There are so many wonderful choices (all of them high quality and expertly made) that it becomes largely a matter of individual taste – taste in recording philosophy, taste in features, and taste in preferred working habits. Here are some of the strengths GOS brings to the table:

1. Extremely high quality instruments, musicians, and recording equipment used in the original sessions.
    2. Flexibility in instrumental section placement and room simulation (but, of course, you have to apply these).
    3. Extensive articulations and instrument construction for finely detailed simulation possibilities.
    4. Numerous programming choices suited to a wide variety of working habits and hardware capabilities.
    5. The MaestroTools utility which extends the functionality of GigaStudio in conjunction with specially programmed instruments.
    6. Unparalleled support. Since the release of the library there have been periodic update releases (free-of-charge to registered users) that have added significant features and new sample material to the already extensive library. Gigabytes of new material.

We think these make a strong case for GOS, now and in the future. Only you can decide if these are important things to you.

Take the time to examine each of the available products (and ones soon to arrive) from the various manufacturers, listen to their demos, read comments of users and magazine reviews, and you should be able to make a choice that suits your needs. No one library will probably ever be all things to all people but GOS will continue to be a high quality, competitive choice for years to come.

I’m a composer too and seeing the creation of these orchestral libraries over the last few years has been very exciting. I can remember, all too well, when the tools we have now would have been considered science fiction. Fun stuff for musicians.

Tom

upgrade, kontakt ,questions ,and a problem

Mr. Garritan
    I have your lite set with Gig 96 2.54 on a Dell P4 2.2 1gig ram and 2 7200 rpm HD\'s. My controllers are an old Peavy DPM C8(new os )88 keys and I also us a Korg Karma (61 keys syth action). Do i understand that you are going to make a NI native format set for KONTAKT. If so will I be able to upgrade to that format. I have Kontakt and although they are having major problems with disk streaming it is a very stable platform. We are all aware of Gigastudio\'s problems and Nemsysis\'s slow response\'s but the question is if you( and I ) go with Kontakt will I lose any of the qualities that make your Strings special.
    I am having 2 difficulties with the Strings. One, I seem to be unable to activate the keyswitches with my Peavy and if I if I down my Karma 2 octives I still am unable to keyswitch. Other programs (AO) work fine however they locate their switches in a different locationn then you do. Could this be due to the midi notes that my Peavy is sending. They do not even show up in Giga\'s keyboard window in the lower registers. To make things real strange if I use the autochord function in the peavy all notes play and show up in Giga. I am working on the programing of the Peavy but any insight would heip. Thanks in advance for answering this this tome. One last thing Why stay with your product when there are an increasing number of competitve products out now. Thanks MARK

Go Back to forum