• Register
  • Help

Topic: Really dumb GOS and GIGA question...

Share/Bookmark

Really dumb GOS and GIGA question...

Hi Guys, this question may well qualify me for the \"dumbest GOS-related question of all time\" but I have to ask.

I am new to Gigastudio (I received it with GOS last week). I noticed that if you load a file like say, Long Bows 1 you get a whole heap of different patches within the main gig file.
    I have read through most of the GOS manual but what I dont understand is how to change playing techniques quickly and simply.

For example, do you load up a marcato patch on midi channel 1, a legato patch on 2, grand detache on 3, etc and then in your sequencer play the string line and then spread it around on different midi tracks to suit?

I mean if you had a part that started slow and sweeping but then changed into some fast bowing would you play this part across different midi tracks with different patches loaded to suit?

Sorry for the very basic question. Hey, if it is the dumbest question ever, will I win a free hat or coffee mug or something? Or is that question even dumber? OK, I\'ll shut up now... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers, Scott.

Re: Really dumb GOS and GIGA question...

My 2 cents.

There\'s lotsa methods, each having strengths. Generaliziing here, but the most common way I work is to have one sequencer midi track for each section (every section, not just strings) and a corresponding Giga channel. Then I use patch changes within the midi track to call for different articulations. Likewise for solo voices, each in their own track/channel pair. This is a fairly liberal use of virutal real estate, so I make use of all the Giga ports.

This can sometimes be troublesome as the patch/instrument numbers are dependent upon the order in which the gigs are loaded into your giga performance, unless you edit the \'instrument\' and \'force\' it to a specific intrument number of your choosing. So if you juggle a performance file around after working with it for a while, you can get patch/instrument number re-assignments.

I developed my own tool to allow me to easily specify patch numbers inside of giga performance files - but it\'s not for general consumption. Best thing for you is to keep working at it until you find your own working style.

Good luck,
    Lum

Heya Steve,

My guess is that you usually use the key-FX patches for each midi track yah? So if you want to change articulations you just use keyswitch within the midi track to change the articulations?

If this is not how you do it, then I would be interested to know how you can change a different Giga Instrument from midi of your sequencer.

meeehoon

Make sure you click the \'+\' sign next to the long bow gigs. Then load in just the articulations you need. I usually record longs bows articulations on one track, short bows on another and things like pizzicato on another. Slides go on another channel. I do have to do some program changes which keeps the amount of tracks manageble.

There are some keyswitch patches with some favorites already setup.

For quick work when composing, you may want to use the light keyswitched patches which gives you legato, marcate, pizzicato, etc in one gig.

Make sure you read the manual carefully which explains all of the gigs in detail.

There was a few tips type dialogs on this forum in the past. Do a search for GOS tips. Hope this helps.

I use GOS Lite, so I am not exactly sure what gigs come on full GOS, but with lite there are a set of gigs called, e.g. \"1st Violins Lite No Loop\". (BTW, you can easily create your own multiple instrument files in the editor, and build as complex a multi-instrument as you desire - in the end its only a matter of how much RAM you\'ve got, eh?). In that gig file are 10 1st violin \'instruments\': sustained vibrato, sustained non-vibrato, grand detache, marcato, sautille, pizzicato, tremolo, half trills, and whole trills. So if I loaded a new gig performance with that gig file, gigastudio would arbitrarily (unless I program it otherwise) assign them to bank zero and give them instrument numbers 0 through 9. In the midi track that I am using to play 1st vioins I merely insert a patch change event, calling for bank 0, patch 0 to cause 1st Violins sustained vibrato to play, then maybe later a patch change to bank 0, patch 3 to get marcato to play.

And the same exercise for all the strings, brass, winds, choir, perc, etc.

In the case of keyswitched gigs (which is not the case here) the first thing I do is edit them to use a free continuous controller, instead of keyswitches, because I do not use them in preformance, only in sequencing, and keyswitches don\'t \'chase back\' to pick up the proper patch parameters - cc events do. In these cases, I would be calling for a cc event, say like cc 19 value of 32 to request the fourth instrument in a 16 zone gig instrument.

I have always been amazed at how fast gigastudio can switch voices. The only trick is getting the timbres to match in intensity, \'cause the velocities are not always exactly scaled from one articulation to the next, although GOS does a pretty killer job of it.

Dunno if any of this made sense. Hope it helped.

Lum

Steve,

Thanks!!! Both bits make sense, only that I have always loaded the single instrument as Haydn suggested... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I never realised loading the whole hog, i.e. Giga Performance, will actually load ALL instruments under it and GS will automatically assign patch numbers to it... I should fiddle around with this more...

Shame you only have GOS Lite though, cos GOS full version is friggin\' awesome!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] By the way, what sequencer are you using (or not using at all?).

meeehoon

Thanks Guys for all you suggestions. That\'s great.

Regards, Scott.

Ahoy meeehoon!

Yeah, I use Sonar2XL. I\'ve been a Cake guy since the DOS days. As for Lite, I think most folks would be amazed at how much one can actually do with it. There are really only two crimps for me: best legato is tough without maestro tools; and I sometimes have to juggle the 1st/2nd violins to get a more complete use of articulations. For the other sections, I just make do. But even Lite far exceeds what I had two years ago, eh? And I get around other things by finagling I have an odd habit for expression: I tend to use cc11 marginally, for broad strokes of expression; I prefer to fine tune the emotion after tracking, by adjusting volume swells. I have a helluva time commiting [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But I know I eventually want/need full GOS, and I think I am about ready. I am about two months from mixing all the base tracks for a project (about 70 mins program). I have to decide now if I\'m going the whole way with Lite, or if I have to find a way to get \'full\' in here and work the strings one more time. The time is something I am willing to part with. But there is never enough cash for the small home studio, eh?

Cheers,
    Lum

Go Back to forum