• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pops with EXP patches

Pops with EXP patches

I\'ve been having a problem getting pops and clicks with any EXP patches I load - 1st Vln Grand Sus Exp Rel, Cellos SusRich Exp Lite, Basses Warm Sus Exp Lite. My rig: Athlon 2100, 512 mb, Win98SE. Midiman 4x4 USB. Giga memory only says 80%, Peak Poly only about 66. I thought it may be a USB Midi thing but if I play other loaded Garritan Patches (i.e. Cells Add. Tech Lite KS) it plays fine. Any ideas - seems like my system doesn\'t like EXP patches....

Re: Pops with EXP patches

Some questions:

1. Do you get pops and clicks when using the sustain pedal with large piano libraries? What is your maximum polyphony under these conditions without pops and clicks?

2. Is this a dedicated Giga computer or are you also running other software (sequencing, multi-track audio, etc.) on the same computer?

3. Do you get pops and clicks with the standard velocity split sustain instruments drawing the same polyphony as the EXP instruments?

4. Do you get pops and clicks if you only load one EXP instrument?

5. What is the setting of the polyphony slider in GigaStudio?

6. Do you have DMA activated for your hard drives?

7. Do you have separate hard drives for your programs and samples?

One more:

8. Which soundcard are you using?

Sorry for my sort of incomplete request. Rest of the info:

Dedicated computer.
    DMA Checked.
    Poly set to 160. (I\'ve tried lowering)
    Only One Hard Drive.
    Soundcard: GINA 24 ADAT to Motu 828 on Mac

Clicks and pops with only one EXP poly at about 60.

BUT, I just tried piano by itself and get clicks and pops as well. So, sorry, looks like a system problem, not GOS. Still if you have any ideas I\'d be interested. Strangely, it\'s an Athlon 2100 but if I play just the piano, the CPU meter goes to like 200%. I guess the first thing to try would be adding a 2nd hard drive, that\'s how my other Giga rig is and works fine. But I can\'t believe I can\'t play a single piano patch without pops on a single-drive system?!?

Go Back to forum