• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can Kompakt use Kontakt native libraries??

Share/Bookmark

Can Kompakt use Kontakt native libraries??

I can\'t figure this out. Is it possible that developers of Kontakt libraires would use some features not available in Kompakt, or are they identical in terms of library implementation (i.e. they read them identically, and then mangle them differently)? I am dying to get an answer to this so I can hurry and get Kompakt!

-brian

Re: Can Kompakt use Kontakt native libraries??

At this point, Kompakt can read Kontakt samples, but Kontakt CAN\'T read Kompakt files. I believe this will change in Kontakt version 1.3.

Kompakt allows you quite a bit of tweaking, but obviously not as much as Kontakt.

rgb

Originally posted by bhuether:
    I can\'t figure this out. Is it possible that developers of Kontakt libraires would use some features not available in Kompakt, or are they identical in terms of library implementation (i.e. they read them identically, and then mangle them differently)? I am dying to get an answer to this so I can hurry and get Kompakt!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, Kompakt can read Kontakt files. But be warned if you are a Mac user, it does not yet run under OS X, and it\'s been very very buggy for me (I\'ve had a variety of diasastrous crashes, all requiring a reboot). Also, the DFD (disk-streaming) has been touchy, and can have problems dropping notes or cutting them off early. This is not a polyphony problem, but something that only happens when DFD is activated. When it gets really confused, I\'ve had it emit very loud, random screeches for no reason, so watch your ears. It does not do well in low-memory situations either. I also have issues with the interface, YMMV.

When everything is working, Kompakt is pretty good. The audio sounds very clean, and the reverb, chorus, and delay are high-quality, but it feels more like a beta version to me, not quite ready for prime-time yet.

Must be a Mac thing, cause it runs great on my PC. I\'m sure they\'ll shake out the bugs in an upcoming update.

Originally posted by SonicVI:
    Of course it is, but I would think that they should be able to know if major features like disk streaming work correctly or not. I assume that they have beta testers?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, it\'s odd. I now have Kompakt running on two different machines, an 800 MHz Titanium G4 PowerBook, and an old 400 MHz G4 Power Mac (Sawtooth AGP). Both exhibit the DFD issue, though the PowerBook much more so, using a dedicated, defragmented, 7,200 rpm FireWire drive. The desktop machine seems to have more-or-less stabilized now, though at this time it\'s a machine dedicated to running Kompakt with a single piano module, the Bardstown Bosendorfer, and I\'m not touching anything. Frankly, I\'m pretty impressed that it even runs on this old machine, and even when playing an \"average\" piano piece, such as <64 simultaneous notes, CPU rarely gets above 50%. Turning on the reverb adds about 1525% but still works. Not bad.

Kompakt still occasionally exhibits things like audible artifacts and dropped notes on both platforms. Could just be my systems, but I\'m a stickler about running a stripped-down, optimized system, especially when in OS9. I don\'t want to give you the impression that Kompakt is junk, because it\'s not, IMO it just still needs some tweaking, at least on the Mac side. Who knows, on a new dual-G5 with 2 GB+ of RAM, all those problems might go away. The OS X update should improve things; then I can use it as a Cubase VST, and at least not worry about rebooting. I hope they hurry up with that! I think it\'s a little ridiculous that they release an OS9-only version of a new product at a time when Apple doesn\'t even officially support or ship it anymore.

Originally posted by robgb:
    Must be a Mac thing, cause it runs great on my PC. I\'m sure they\'ll shake out the bugs in an upcoming update.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">They should\'ve shaken out the bugs before releasing it.

Daniel

Wishful thinking. I\'ve NEVER had a piece of software that didn\'t require bug fixes after the first release. There\'s no way they can know that certain bugs exist until it\'s utilized in the real world.

Wishful thinking. I\'ve NEVER had a piece of software that didn\'t require bug fixes after the first release. There\'s no way they can know that certain bugs exist until it\'s utilized in the real world.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course it is, but I would think that they should be able to know if major features like disk streaming work correctly or not. I assume that they have beta testers?

Daniel

I haven\'t had a bit of trouble with disk streaming. But I\'m running a pretty fast processor and a pristine drive.

I haven\'t had a bit of trouble with disk streaming. But I\'m running a pretty fast processor and a pristine drive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There is a 1.01 update out today on their site. Still no OS X (!) but apparently it does fix some issues.

Go Back to forum