• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help... gigaGOS to EXS24

Help... gigaGOS to EXS24

Ciao... to you all!
    ...please, I’ve imported (with the EXS24 option) all my GOS CD on my Mac...
    I know already that I’ll have a bit of trouble [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] (name lenght, control settings not imported completely and so on...) but, for the moment, I’d like to ask just a simple, I think and hope, question about how storing the samples on my HD... (forgive my english!)
    Opening an instrument, logic ask to me to choose among two (or more) same sample (but in different folders)... so, I’m wondering if I can put all the cello’ samples, all the violin’ samples etc... just in one \"dedicated\" folder (so all the “doubles” will be erased and I’ll have more free space on my HD... and no more to choose among two or three same samples!). I’m very “skill-tech-less” ... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so I’m not sure to do the right thing... thanks for replay!
    Greetings from Rome... and, Gary... you and your staff are great!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Help... gigaGOS to EXS24

The answer is most likely “yes” so long as the samples in the other folders are actually duplicates. Once you have consolidated your samples into common folders be sure to delete the duplicates in other locations. You may want to do some experimenting to test this just to be sure. The worst that could happen is you would need to re-convert some instruments.

Thank you, Tom...
    ...I think I\'ll disturb you again... if you don\'t mind... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    for the moment, greetings from Italy...

Originally posted by rino:
    Ciao... to you all!
    ...please, I’ve imported (with the EXS24 option) all my GOS CD on my Mac...
    I know already that I’ll have a bit of trouble [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] (name lenght,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you\'re on OS 9 then get the Joliet file extension. That will solve all the naming problems. It doesn\'t allow really long names but they will be displayed more correctly. So instead of CEllRIC.GIG or whatever, you get Cellos SusRich.gig.

Thanks Hasen for your suggestion, but...
    I\'ve tried, just now, Joliet... and the problem is, I know it, in the EXS24 himself... It seems not allows to use name longer then 31 letters... Here, an example:
    after the import, I\'ve got instruments (xxxx.exs) like these:
    Cellos Martele UpDn ALT.exs
    Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR.exs...
    where the first is right,
    but the second is a \"strange mix\" of:
    Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR1.exs
    Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR2.exs...
    ...so Hasen, and Tom if you are reading, I can\'t use \"Variability Instruments\" \'cause of the long name... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    I\'m still \"study-reading\" the manual... but I\'m not sure if, as I don\'t use Giga Sampler, I can use Var Instr in EXS24 just the same (supposing that I can import the \"instrument long name\"!) without re-programing all the parameters in my EXS24... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ...so if there is not another way to resolve the issue, I\'ll use just the instrument that I can import... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] GOS is so great, that I\'ll be able to do good music just the same!!!
    ...I beg your pardon if my post is a bit confused, but I\'m really sweating trying to explain myself in english [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Thanks again for your help!
    rino [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why can\'t you use them if the filename\'s wrong? Surely they will work regardless of what they are called, will they not?

The only other option I can think of is to use OS X \'cos that supports long file names.

Originally posted by rino:

I hear you... shouting: \"Buy a GigaSampler!!!\" ...I won\'t! I love Macintosh tooooo much... can betray it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would never say that! EXS24 is much better than Gigasampler. I love Macs too and would never touch a pc. Unfortunately I can\'t help you with your problem as I don\'t actually use EXS24. Hopefully Tom can answer your question.

...no way! Also in OS X the exs24 reads max 31 characters... but... please, follow me...

I\'ve just imported the two programs \"Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR 1\" and \"Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR 2\" (shortering the name) with CDXtract...
    Well! These, ahead, are the differences among this two last program and the \"Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR\" I was talking in the precedent post (the one I\'ve defined a \"strange mix\"...):

in the xxxVAR 1.exs and xxxVAR 2.exs, into the edit window of EXS24, I\'ve got 3 groups each one (controlled by three different range of CC# 1) while in the xxxVAR.exs I\'ve got 8(!!!) groups
    (controlled by eight different range of modWheel/CC#1)... in the GOS manual, if I\'ve well understood, I see seven modWheel positions... (it has to be seven groups...?) [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Now, which one of this three \"xxx.exs\" I\'ve got to \"trust\" and \"tamper with\"? ...
    [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I hear you... shouting: \"Buy a GigaSampler!!!\" ...I won\'t! I love Macintosh tooooo much... can betray it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hasen, I was kidding about the GS... Happy to know you love Mac too...
    Thanks, anyway, for your answers... I hope Tom [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] can give me some more advices...
    For example... How many layers I\'ve got to have... better... How many layers, really, there are in the giga Cellos Martele UpDn ALT VAR 1 and 2?
    ...knowing that, maybe I can understand how my EXS24 and CDXtract acting during the translation...
    Thank you for your patience... and... Ciao Hasen...

I run an all-PC studio so I can’t help out on the Mac naming problem but here is the information on the VAR instruments:

1. The VAR instruments use 8 layers switched from the mod wheel (cc#1) – no crossfades are used. The first layer is neutral – it is the default. Layers 2 through 6 use detuning: -6 cents, +6 cents, -12 cents, +12 cents, -3 cents. Note that the detuning is added to any tuning values already existing in the samples. Layers 7 and 8 use transposition primarily from one half step above and one half step below to give variation in character – the amount of variation depending upon whether the transposition is applied to a sample recorded on the same string or a different string.

2. VAR instruments use GPC-1 (cc#16) to control variability in attack envelope speed.

3. They use GPC-7 (cc#82) to control variability in “rosin on the bow” brightness.

Go Back to forum