• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS request (low priority)

GOS request (low priority)

It would be killer to have the sound produced when the players smack the wooden part of the bow on the instrument body (the wooden part). Now, maybe these players who have circa 1700s instruments may not want to do that.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But this is a cool effect.. good for a bit of surprise in a very quiet, tense & eerie piece.

Thanks! Having a blast with GOS Advanced!!

Orcas Island

Re: GOS request (low priority)

Hi Sam,

First of all a big CONGRATULATIONS for winning first place in the GANG (Game Audio Network Guild) Songwriting Competition. Your work was chosen as the best from among all of the entries submitted. Well done!!!

I am not familiar with the effect you describe, but it does seem like it would produce an unusual sound. In the upcoming solo strings, there is something similar done with the hand on the instrument. The player raps the instrument with the knuckle, slaps it with the hand and taps it with the fingers. This does seems preferable than banging a multimilion dollar instrument with a stick.

Gary Garritan

PS Glad your having a blast with GOS.

Thanks, Gary [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You know what.. I took another listen to the track I heard this on (\"Claudia\'s Allegro Agitato\" from Interview with The Vampire). It actually sounds more like a Bartok pizzicato.. a VERY hard pizz. In fact, I can\'t even hear an actual pitch. Just the dry snap sound.

Sorry about the mistake. I hadn\'t actually heard this track in several years, and back then I wouldn\'t have known the difference. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

also check out the col legno sounds

Go Back to forum