• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MachFive - any comments?

Share/Bookmark

MachFive - any comments?

Hi all,

Has anyone used or heard about MOTU\'s new software sampler MachFive. Im a big MOTU user Digital Performer, 2408 & MTPAV and I would gladly switch from giga to MachFive if it can get the job done.

Id love to hear some comments

-Andy

Re: MachFive - any comments?

Originally posted by Andy Brick:
    Hi all,

Has anyone used or heard about MOTU\'s new software sampler MachFive. Im a big MOTU user Digital Performer, 2408 & MTPAV and I would gladly switch from giga to MachFive if it can get the job done.

Id love to hear some comments

-Andy
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Andy,

I had a chance to get a private preview of Mach 5 at NAMM and I like what I saw. The interface is the best I have seen so far in a sampler. It is based in the UVI engine, which Spectrosonics uses in their virtual instruments. It will be cross-platform (MAC & PC) and work as a standalone or a plugin for MAS, ProTools, Audio Units, VST or DX. It was impressive seeing 5.1 surround samples in the onboard editor screen. Mach 5 will purportedly import many different formats including Roland, Giga, SampleCell and others. I was told that streaming would be implemented this spring. If Mach 5 delivers as billed, it could be quite a contender.

Gary

Sharmy

According to their website, Mach5 has an onboard conversion tool to import the various formats.
    I never met an onboard conversion tool that I liked. They all tend to loose something in the translations. Third party programs, such as translator, seem to do a better job. I agree that the quality of the conversion is important, but more important; there must be uniformity of features among the samplers for there to be proper functionality.

We found that the onboard converters with the other samplers did not do a good job of converting GOS. Some faired quite well with the GOS Lite edition, but when it came to the Full GOS Library, the conversion process broke down.
    This is why we are doing native programming in the various formats.

If a particular feature is not present in a software sampler, there is nothing to convert it to. For instance, in earlier versions, EXS24 did not support multilayer crossfading and it just was not possible to do EXPression or VIBrato Controls. Earlier versions of the various software samplers did not support Keyswitching. Therefore the ability of the conversion program is not the issue, but the features of the host sampler play the most important role.

In all likelihood the future of software sampling will be a battle of features. Kontakt is multi-format, multi-host and has built-in round-robin/alternating capabilities, and great filtering and effects. EXS24 works with a programmable MIDI interface in the Logic Enviroment. Mach5 will work with multichannel samples such as 5.1 surround. Unity Session offers built-in physical modeling. And Giga 3.0 will have features that will go way beyond anything out there. We live in interesting times.

Gary Garritan

Thanks guys for the comments.

Gary, if your impressed with MachFive I think that says a lot! I heard some chatter about Giga 3.0 over on the Tascam board so for now I will wait it out and see.

Gary, what criterion must be met in order for a sample library developer to port their library and make it native to the sampler? Id hate to switch to M5 then have to deal with reprogramming GOS.

If MOTU can make MachFive a contender and GOS goes native, I will buy it. Ive found that MOTU is pretty reliable. They rarely release anything that doesnt stick. Im going to keep my eye on MachFive

I really think Mach 5 has the best chance of being the Mac user\'s choice for sample playback. Kontakt , though a great program, is a bad port over to the Mac, with an ugly, hard to read screen, and very unMac like features. Not to mention the fact that Native let things go and won\'t have a OSX version until end of year. Kontakt\'s streaming does not work on the Mac, though if you have enough memory you can get by without it....to a point.

I hope MOTU scores big with Mach 5, kudos to them for jumping on RTAS right away for the thousands of Pro Tools users out there. I encourage Gary to really check this out. It will be the only game in town for the Mac market unless you use Logic.

This is a good thread; good points about the upcomers. One wonders what we\'ll be talking about in October or so when these things reach maturity, and throw in the OSX factor, etc.

Like Gary said, it\'s the feature set that is important when considering if GOS would be native in it. You have to hand it to Giga, even though they are taking some hits these days - they showed a lot of foresight in certain features - not just the streaming, but the crossfading and the key-switching.

(Although, as I like to say often, that Ensoniq had these features in 1987. I got started in the market selling Ensoniq EPS sounds, which was and is marvelous to program. The Ensoniq EPS featured a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, 4-way \"key\" switching with dedicated buttons for the job - not wasted keys - , release triggers, and 5-stage envelopes. The only reason Ensoniq did not wind up being the premiere sampler (besides limited memory) was that the company was based in Pennsylvania.)

chickensys:

well, as I just stated a few minutes ago over in your new Forum, the EPS was my first sampler and I still won\'t part with it (2 megs and all). I used it for years before upgrading my main sampler to Roland S760s, and whilst they had a host of features the EPS didn\'t , there were many things I missed about the EPS (as well as Ensoniqs user-friendliness even with complex features).

The sheer amount of features and power offered was sadly overlooked at the time (but the limited memory was NO help compared to Akai), and the fact that it did not develop too much further really is tragic. Garth: howabout that AMAZING array of looping choices?! I was in shock when I realized how limited other, newer samplers like the Rolands had almost no loop choices by comparison. What about Legato Glide layer too?! The EPS performed mono LEGATO instruments back in the eighties!

Anyway, about Mach 5. Any info from anyone about CPU usage? Price? Minimum computer requirements?

VERY encouraging to hear Gary speak so highly of it. Around about now, new software samplers get the feel (to me anyway) of \"Oh, here comes ANOTHER one\".

(Chickensys: how about a reminissing thread about the EPS?!!! Do you remember Transoniq Hacker?!)

The Ensoniq Mirage also had features not found even in today\'s samplers. I still have back issues of the Transoniq Hacker and it was an invaluable sampling resource. TH formed the basis of the first sampling community that I am aware of - kind of like a predecessor to Northern Sounds.

I\'ll let you know more about Mach 5. If it delivers as advertised, I will be developing for it. I should have some more information soon and will keep you posted.

Gary Garritan

> The interface is the best I have seen so far in a sampler

I’m surprised at that comment. My first impression (seeing only the screen shot) was that it reproduced all the inconvenience of the small LCD screens found on hardware. I’m guessing that people with long years of hardware experience feel very comfortable with a reproduction of that interface in software. Without that background, I find it very claustrophobic. I spent a few weeks playing with Kontakt when I first got it. What a relief it was to return to Giga, a full screen standalone app, with re-sizable panels.

I totally agree with Bill.
    When Giga 3.0 comes, it will be earthshaking!!! Tascam is keeping silent. It\'s when people are scared they can\'t stop talking.
    talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk

Go Back to forum