• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problem with updates on a Mac

Share/Bookmark

Problem with updates on a Mac

I\'ve just received the free updates - thank you! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I\'ll preface this by saying that I\'m using the EXS24 sampler on a Mac. That puts me in a disadvantage to start with, I know... But, I will also say that I have much success with GOS nonetheless.

Unfortunately, there is a BIG problem with some of the programs, particularly the 1st Violins (Hollywood). The names of some of the .wav files are too long. This results in terrible programming, at least on the EXS24. I also found a case in the Cellos, where the sampler was confused and reverted to an already used sample from a lower register, instead of placing the proper sample.

Is there any way to make the names of the samples less than 31 characters?

Re: Problem with updates on a Mac

Hi Ned... I\'m so happy knowing that out there there is another \"crazy-apple\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] using gigaGOS on a EXS24/Mac...
    I had ,and I have, your same problem (search for my: \"Help... gigaGOS to EXS24\")...

To change the name of some \"very long named instr\" I use CDXtract 4.1 (\'cause I had problems using the ChickensSystems\' \"Translator\")... differently, from the EXS24\'s option \"giga convert\", you can translate the programs just one by one, if you want, with the \"batch program\" function...

Unfortunately, maybe, I can\'t help you more then this now... (due to a composition-task... I left behind my translation problems... until I\'ll finish to write the music... then I\'ll be back to \"fight\" with the \"incongruity\" of our gigaPC>>exs24/MAC convertion... ) but, please, \"share any doubt\" with me just the same... I hope we can help each other here... or... \"Have we to buy a PC just to run our gigaGOS?\" ...hope NOOOOOOOO! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry for my \"italian\" english... a big Ciao from Rome,
    Rino

OOOOoooops!!! Sorry Ned... I was so excited knowing that I\'m not alone... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    You\'re talking about samples, not programs...
    Anyway!... in CDXtract there is also a \"sample batch\" function... and, I think, it\'s that you need...

re-Ciao [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

OOOOoooops!!! Sorry Ned... I was so excited knowing that I\'m not alone... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    You\'re talking about samples, not programs...
    Anyway!... in CDXtract there is also a \"sample batch\" function... and, I think, it\'s that you need...

re-Ciao [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sorry guys,

I was building those updates on a PC, and workign specifically in Giga. I needed the long naming convention to make it easier for me to keep track of the variations of samples (referencing jsut made it more complicated and tedious, the last thing you need when working on tweaks of this magnitude). There should be translating software that can do the sample name conversions as well as instrument conversion, Awave will do the sample changes, but it will most likely destroy all the advanced programming in these instruments.

Maybe Garth has some ideas in the chickensys forum?

Hey there King, thanks for the reply!

I\'m a CDXtract user. I\'ll contact Bernard Chavonnet and see what he has to say.

Well, I just tried converting some of the problem files with CDXtract 4.1, and, unfortunately, it can\'t convert them, as the names are just too long. It\'s really too bad for us Mac users, but we\'ll have to miss out on some of the fabulous programming done by KI. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
    Well, I just tried converting some of the problem files with CDXtract 4.1, and, unfortunately, it can\'t convert them, as the names are just too long. It\'s really too bad for us Mac users, but we\'ll have to miss out on some of the fabulous programming done by KI. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">http://www.tempel.org/joliet/

$15, lets you see long file names on a Mac.. believe this is what you need. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(Just got a Mac, it\'s a whole new world.. I still prefer PC\'s though. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Ned, the stuff I did in the updates may not have trans;ated all that well anyway.

There\'s some extensive GS specific tweaks, that I had to do because of how GS works. (Eg mod, attack time corresponding with velocity, and sample offsets)

I\'d be interested in hearing how it does translate if the \"joliet\" app works out.

Still sorry about that. I\'m in my PC/gigastudio mindset most of the time.

Thanks SOD, but sorry to say that Joliet does not fix this particular problem. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum