• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crashes at high polyphony

Share/Bookmark

Crashes at high polyphony

My GSt 160 installations (legally installed on two computers)are reliable most of the time. However, when I push the polyphony with live playing (layered sounds) the program often crashes ungracefully with an msg32 error (I think) followed by the blue screen of death. I tried reducing the polyphony in the settings but the problem still occurs. Has anyone experienced this? Shouldn\'t note stealing and poly settings be able to prevent this? - Doug

Re: Crashes at high polyphony

I\'m having same problem just like you.
    Once Msg32 error windows appears and I click OK, then Blue Error message appears and I have no other choice but to restart the computer. I\'m runnin CubaseVST/32, GStudio and Reason on same time. Someone told me that Error Message on blue background is usually on hardware failure, so i went to some computer store and showed him my exact error message. What he saying was i\'m having memory errors, however i don\'t think it is....

My Hardwares are
    PIII 800EB
    Iwill VD133pro motherboard
    256 PC133 MICRON
    GeForce 2 Pro/ Hercules
    Maxtor 10.2 7200rpm
    Kingston Network Card
    Echoaudio Darla20

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Hi Donniek, I\'m \"glad\" I\'m not alone. I emailed Nemesys about this on 15 Feb. No response.

I have the exact same problem. Reducing the max polyphony setting does not stop the crashes. I was getting these crashes in a sequence fairly consistently at the same passage of the song. I\'m running GSt96 on just a 300MHz PII with 128Megs. I\'ve found that if I exceed about 60 notes of polyphony it gets unstable. I reduced the number of sustaining notes in that section of the song (by adding more damper pedals to sustained Gigapiano chords in the background of the piece that were nearly inaudable). Now it hits around 58 max notes and it never crashes.

I was so used to it crashing at that point in the song, that now when I listen to the final product in MP3 form, I still get a little nervous twing at that point!! I guess it\'s one of those Pavlov things... The track is called \"Dancing in Avalon\" on my web page. It used to crash at the point where the strings come in, about halfway through the track.

Van Sotraidis
    http://www.mp3.com/VANMUSIC

I get the same error message which is usually caused by harp parts. It also happens randomly when I am playing back about 40 parts. I usually mute the parts in Cakewalk that are using high polyphony until I\'m done recording the piece. I then record sections of instruments into Cakewalk and then archive the MIDI tracks. I have to do this regularly with harp and piano parts as they will play 70 notes just by themselves. I only use the mono Xsample harp as the stereo version causes too much overhead.

I have a PIII-733 processor, 512 MB ram and Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 hard drives.

One of my systems is also a PIII 733 but with only 128mb RAM. Since I\'m playing live I\'m usually not running any other audio or sequencer software on my machines. I suppose this problem could be originating in a number of places (although I suspect Giga is the culprit). I\'m also inferring that we\'re talking more about \"busy\" MIDI data rather than a lot of slower, sustained notes when this happens. I also get hung notes that warn of the death to come if I don\'t thin things out. I sure wish we didn\'t have to worry about this issue. Could it be the processor getting swamped? Does anybody with a really fast machine have this problem?

I have a Athlon 1000, W/ 256 meg ram, 2 20 Gig HDD\'s and I do occasionally get this problem, it\'s when i have lots of instruments loaded and reverb filters eating up CPU.... My machine starts to run a bit sluggish, and then i know that the msg32 error is gonna be coming soon, so i quickly save, however... I don\'t find that this problem is relevent to polyphony, for me its how much memory and CPU usage.

Saying that though....my computer hangs from time to time when i first start Giga and Cakewalk, and thats with no instruments loaded. Pain in the arse.

James

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    One of my systems is also a PIII 733 but with only 128mb RAM. Since I\'m playing live I\'m usually not running any other audio or sequencer software on my machines. I suppose this problem could be originating in a number of places (although I suspect Giga is the culprit). I\'m also inferring that we\'re talking more about \"busy\" MIDI data rather than a lot of slower, sustained notes when this happens. I also get hung notes that warn of the death to come if I don\'t thin things out. I sure wish we didn\'t have to worry about this issue. Could it be the processor getting swamped? Does anybody with a really fast machine have this problem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like that I\'m not alone with this
    msg32 error. Yes, I also sometimes get the
    msg32 error message when unloading gigs and then blue screen. Ctl+Alt+Del are not helping
    at all. But I have found out that usually relates to some specific gigs: If you try to
    load the same gig file again, you get error message, while other gigs are loading just fine. So, It\'s better to delete these problematic gig files!
    I also get occasionally msg32 error message
    when booting Win98SE. But not always!
    Someone else sharing this problem? What is this?
    It\'s so sad because I really loves this program, but it seems so buggy!
    I have tried everything to make it feel so
    comfortable. I upgraded CPU P3 450Mhz to 700Mhz, second HD only for Gst( 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda 20.4 Gb, about 8 ms),audiocard with GSIF driver ( Delta Dio2496), 256Mb RAM. I only hope that someday my GSt96 works well. Maybe with version 2.2?

I to have had my computer crash on me about 15 times since last night! I get the MSGSRV error also. My computer however crashes when I unload sounds in the \"loaded Instrument\" screen. Thank God Cakewalk saves my midi files unlike Giga saving my presets!
    I also can\'t Control-Alt-Delete, my whole monitor just goes black. Occasionally I\'ll get the blue screen of death also, but sometimes I don\'t even get that.
    I know it\'s not a polyphony problem for me, because sometimes I\'ll just listen to a couple of sounds in Giga, then unload them and my computer will crash right after unloading.
    HP 667 Mhz Pentium 3
    256 megs Kingston ram
    8 gig drive-programs, 30 gig drive-audio&gigs
    Midiman Delta 1010 soundcard
    Windows 98
    Giga version 2.01.36
    Sounds to me like this is a major new bug. I\'ve actually had this happen to me before when I had the last version of Giga also, but not nearly as much

Go Back to forum