• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Hollywood Sound

Share/Bookmark

The Hollywood Sound

Hi Gang,

Just got the GOS updates last night, and have been having some fun exploring the new material and features. Thanks to all for a wonderful package. Some really useful little goodies in the Maple/Maestro package, too....

I\'ve got a couple of questions for Doyle. I\'ve been listening to the Hollywood demo (like it, nice sound!), and exploring the Hollywood EQ performance file, to see what I could learn.

First question. In the update notes, Doyle explains that GOS resists panning, so he uses the DSP mixer. In exploring the performance, all I can see is that the left channel slider on the cellos is panned slightly to the right. All the other sliders are at their respective extremes (i.e. normal). Is this a fair representation of the extent to which you pan, Doyle, only tweaking the left cello channel slightly to the right? I suspect maybe some of the other settings were inadvertently lost??

Second question. In exploring the string EQ settings from your \'ripped\' tracks, you probably came to some conclusions that are much more detailed than what we can learn from just looking at your NFX EQ settings. For example, you may have wanted to just notch down a specific frequency here or there, but because of the limitationsof NFX you had to slide a whole band down by a few dB ... Do you have any conclusions that are more detailed, e.g. that would be useful with parametric EQ settings with a proper mastering setup?

Third question. It would be a great learning experience to get the MIDI file for your composition, so see how/where you used the various articulations. Would you be willing to share the MIDI file with us?

A lot of questions, I know, but like many GOS users, I suspect, I\'ve been striving to improve my sound and find that it\'s a neverending learning experience. Insights by masters can be invaluable aids, if they are willing to take the time to share.

Thanks,
    Trond

Re: The Hollywood Sound

Well the short answer (without seeing the updates yet) is maybe to use the KingIdiot version of Hollywood Strings. I bet they are better than using my shortcut EQ.
    Anyway:

\"In exploring the performance, all I can see is that the left channel slider on the cellos is panned slightly to the right.\"

I put that in there as an example as to what was the best way I found to pan, and could be used on any instrument.

\"For example, you may have wanted to just notch down a specific frequency here or there, but because of the limitationsof NFX you had to slide a whole band down by a few dB ... Do you have any conclusions that are more detailed, e.g. that would be useful with parametric EQ settings with a proper mastering setup?\"

The inspiration (and the \"right way\" to notch the EQ for GOS) came from Simon Ravn, and my EQ was just to get as close to his external EQ approach as I could using GS, and to use my ears to compare with some live recordings to duplicate the sound. Do a search of the forum on \"Hollywood Strings\" and Simon, and you will read about the proper way to EQ GOS for the \"Hollywood Strings\".

\"It would be a great learning experience to get the MIDI file for your composition, so see how/where you used the various articulations.\"

Let me think about that one. It would have to be a pure midi file unless the user had Sonar.

Take a look at the Grand Hungarian Overture thread in this forum. In addition to the MP3 Andy has provided a list of the GOS articulation change events. You can also download his five staff score. It may not be the midi file, but it definitely allows you to study the use and results of various articulations.

Thanks Doyle, my questions are answered ...

A standard MIDI file would work great, if you\'re willing to share it.

Trond

\"About EQ\'ing I find that taking out a good chunk on violins and violas at both around 1350hz and 2900 hz (not too narrow a band), helps making the sound more \'Hollywood\'.\" \"I would take out between -6 -12db at 1350 and the same at 2900hz.\"
    -from Simon

Go Back to forum