• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to Do a Two Octave Sliding Gliss with GOS

Share/Bookmark

How to Do a Two Octave Sliding Gliss with GOS

Here is an example of a Two Octave, ascending and descending sliding Glissando (or Extended Portamento) using GOS: Two Octave Gliss mp3

Here\'s How It Was Done:

Load these instruments for the glissando:

MIDI Channel 1 = Vln Slides Comb. UpDn MW KS (C1-C#1)
    MIDI Channel 2 = 2nd Vln Grand Detache

Here is the MIDI file that was used for this tutorial: Two Octave Glissando MIDI Two Octave Glissando MIDI

It uses a chromatic scale with overlapping notes to accomplish the effect using the Slides Toolbox. The ascending scale uses the up slides and the descending scale uses the downslides. Keyswitches are placed at the beginning and middle to choose the slide direction. Mod wheel data selects the interval (minor 2nd, Major 2nd, or Major 3rd). This example uses the minor 2nd. The first note is slightly reinforced with the 2nd Violin Grand Detache. The mp3 file adds some reverb to the mix.

Logic Audio

The following Screenshot (done in Logic) shows the tracks, port-channel assignments, instrument names, and Matix display for each of the tracks. It also displays the note data and keyswitches in alignment.

Here is the Logic Environment File of the above for those who use Logic.

Thanks to Tom Hopkins for providing these instructions. Let me know if you find these tutorials instructive and we\'ll continue to post more.

Gary Garritan

Re: How to Do a Two Octave Sliding Gliss with GOS

Hi Maestro...
    ...again: no way to reach your website... since a week!
    And, I know... I\'m not the only one... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Best regards,
    Rino

Hi Maestro...
    ...again: no way to reach your website... since a week!
    And, I know... I\'m not the only one...

Best regards,
    Rino
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Rino, if you are referring to www.garritan.com I\'m reaching it here in Australia. It could be a routing issue either at your internet service provider or somewhere between Italy and the states. This is out of Gary\'s control to fix.

Routers are kind of like traffic lights for the internet that help direct the flow of information. Chances are that a router has gone down in your neck of the woods. I dare say there would be other sites in the U.S. you can\'t visit right now too.

Cheers, Scott.

Thanks to Tom Hopkins for providing these instructions. Let me know if you find these tutorials instructive and we\'ll continue to post more.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Tom and Gary! I for one would be most interested to see more of these tutorials.

Regards, Scott.

Hi, Gary:

Yes, more tutorials please. And if they could be archived here for easy future reference, that would be great as well.

John

Thanks a lot Scott for the advice!
    ...ok, I imagine then... that \"the only way\" is to wait for a... \"self-resolution\"! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ciao from Italy!

I spoke to Gary about this a couple of weeks back. He was having problems with security on some European ISPs and has such restricted access to the culprit service providers.

I don\'t know if he intends to lift the block at some point though.

Originally posted by rino:
    no way to reach your website...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">According to my ISP there should no longer be a problem accessing the site.

Gary

This tutorial was great! I personally would love to see more of these.

I assume this slide method can be used to create smooth string runs as well, right?

yes, some of us need all the tutorials we can get [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again for all the continued support! You guys are great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum