• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: An Interview with DANNY LUX: Questions from forum members invited

Share/Bookmark

An Interview with DANNY LUX: Questions from forum members invited

<font size=\"4\">We are pleased to announce our next guest in the \"GOS Meet the Artist\" series of Interviews: <font size=\"5\">DANNY LUX
    </font>

It is an honor to have one of Northern Sound\'s most famous composers as our guest. Danny Lux has been with Northern Sounds from the beginning.

Danny is an Emmy Nominated Composer whose music can be heard on many prime time television shows and in the movies. He has composed for the hit series \'Ally McBeal\' as well as \'John Doe\', \'Boston Public\'. \'Hack\', and \'Party of Five\'. Danny also scored for the film \"Halloween Resurrection\". Other credits include: \'Profiler\', \'Sabrina the Teenage Witch\', and \'Dawson\'s Creek\'. Danny is also a sample developer and created \"Harmonica Essentials: Blues Licks.\"

Danny has been gracious enough to answer questions from Northern Sounds forum members. If you have questions about how Danny approaches composition and scoring, projects he is currently working on, how he uses GigaStudio, arranging, sample libraries, MIDI orchestration, the business, or have any other questions; now is your chance to ask Danny. At the end of the questioning period, your questions will then be presented to Danny and we will then post his answers in interview form here.

Please post your questions below or email them to me at gary@garritan.com.

I anticipate this is going to be an interesting, informative and fascinating interview. Thanks Danny for being our guest and sharing your time and talent with this forum.

And thank you all for your participation,

Let the questions begin!

Gary Garritan

Re: An Interview with DANNY LUX: Questions from forum members invited

Danny,

what do you consider the BEST Sax and Brass samplers in the Jazz genre. I enjoy scoring for Big Band.............................

thanks

Alan Russell

Hi Danny, I was reading in another interview you did that you started as a drummer in a rock and roll band (so did I!).

I was wondering, in what ways do you think that might\'ve helped your music? Or has it been a hindrance in any way?

Also, do you have any classical training?

Thanks, Scott.

Hey, someone who looks like me! On one of my better days anyway. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Anyway, I am always interested in studio setup, what libs are being used, and most important, what the workflow is on a given project.

Hey Danny, thanks for the time.

How did you get your start in the biz?

What\'s been your favorite project/show to work on?

How the heck do you do so much work? It seems that everytime I watch a show you\'re name is attached somewhere [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Are there any projects you really would like to be doing? Specific Movies, TV shows, etc?

How the heck did you become one of the first members here at NS?

Hi Danny,

I remember a quote - I think it was from the Jeff Rona book \"Reel to Reel\" - that went something like \"It\'s not what you can do, it\'s what you can do in a limited period of time\".

Composing for television, I\'d imagine that you have more than a few \"limited period of time\" stories. Got any that really stand out? And do you have any suggestions for managing those types of situations, both emotionally and technically?

Hey Danny, first let me say I admire you for the way you effectively write great underscores for ALL those series.

What is your general method of writing? Do you write mostly on instinct? To what extend do you have a clear set of writing tools, templates, sounds and boundaries for every series, or episode?

Thanks,

Maarten Spruijt

Hi Danny,

Just wondering how you tackle writer\'s block (if you get it!) when youv\'e got deadlines to meet. The reason I ask is because I\'m stuck in a musical rut at the moment, so any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug.

Hi Danny, appreciate you offering your time for this, thanks!

In the modern world of film and television scoring, knowing what you know now, how would you have approached making a place for yourself in the industry differently? If there was something you could go back and maybe do a little differently, what would it be? (In your case, I think \"nothing\" could actually be a viable answer! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But if there is something, what would it be?

Thanks,
    mike

Hi Danny. My question is: in what ways do you save time in the composing process in order to get alot of music done in a short amount of time?

Go Back to forum