• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS Impulses

Share/Bookmark

GOS Impulses

Hi, can Ernest or someone who knows, explain the difference between Concert Hall Impulses 1,2,3,4?

As I am still grappling with the best way to apply impulses in general, I thought it would be good to have a frame of reference in respect to what Ernest supplied on the last two updates.

THanks, Scott.

Re: GOS Impulses

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hi, can Ernest or someone who knows, explain the difference between Concert Hall Impulses 1,2,3,4?

THanks, Scott.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scott,

The differences are the type of signal used, mike placement and processing applied. There were 6 second, 12 second and 24 second test tones which account for some of the differences. Also, there were different mike placements and selectived EQ applied to the impulses to compensate for the frequency response.

If you like these impulses wait until you hear what we have coming.

Gary Garritan

Scott,

The differences are the type of signal used, mike placement and processing applied. There were 6 second, 12 second and 24 second test tones which account for some of the differences. Also, there were different mike placements and selectived EQ applied to the impulses to compensate for the frequency response.

If you like these impulses wait until you hear what we have coming.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thank you Gary. I guess its a matter of playing with the various impulses and seeing what you like. I searched through earlier posts on impulses here and followed Ernest\'s advice of setting the dry signal to 0db and the wet to approximately -1, -2 db.

At the moment I am finding that the different impulses seem to have a huge impact on the string sound. More so than when applying conventional effects. (At least to my ears.)

I am experimenting with different EQ\'s/impulses to find THE PERFECT STRING SOUND! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Scott.

I think the only thing wrong with the GOS impulses is that the tails are too long. Other than that they\'re just too good. The original concert hall 1 and the new 3 and 4 sound pretty much the same to me though.

No that I\'ve messed about with them that much yet..
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hasen in Acoustic Mirror (and I\'m sure other impulse app\'s) you can use; \"apply envelope and limit decay\" - you can set the drop off of volume (decibels) over time (milliseconds)

Regards, Scott.

I think the only thing wrong with the GOS impulses is that the tails are too long. Other than that they\'re just too good. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The original concert hall 1 and the new 3 and 4 sound pretty much the same to me though.

Not that I\'ve messed about with them that much yet..

Yes you can do that in Altiverb as well, Scott but its not as realistic as having an actual tail that is the right length.

Hansen

If you have a sound editor then apply an exponential decay or apply a linear decay over the undesireable tail 2-4 times. This appraoch is more flexible than the envelope limiting in Acoustic Mirror and Altiverb. If this does not work then please contact me and I will adjust the impulse for you.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

I\'m still not sure how to use these impulses in Altiverb. Can someone explain the process of putting the impulses into Altiverb impulse response folder and then getting Altiverb to recognize them?

Thanks
    Steve Fawcett

Steve the sound files should be in dual mono Sound designer format with the left file ending in .L and the right in .R A program such as Peak or SoundHack could help in this conversion. Then place the files in a folder in the Altiverb Responses Folder. The files should be seen
    inside DP when accessing Altiverb.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound
    www.numericalsound.com

Originally posted by Ernest:
    Steve the sound files should be in dual mono Sound designer format with the left file ending in .L and the right in .R A program such as Peak or SoundHack could help in this conversion. Then place the files in a folder in the Altiverb Responses Folder. The files should be seen inside DP when accessing Altiverb.
    [/URL]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Steve,

Ernest is right about converting the files in Peak or Soundhack. In the latest updates, there is also an Altiverb folder where all the impulses were already converted to SDII L & R format. If this is not working for you, email me and I\'ll reply back with the files.

Thanks for your help Ernest.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum