• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New GOS orchestral demo

Share/Bookmark

New GOS orchestral demo

I am currently working on a new version of one of the demos posted on the GOS user demo site. The full orchestration is not yet complete, but the strings (100% GOS) and brass (a mixture of DDSB & SAM) are more or less done. WWinds and timpani will need to be added next (this explains the strange silences in the middle of the demo!). Comments on the mix would be most welcome. The piece is a kind of \"symphonic pasacaglia\" (a la Brahms 4th), about 2 minutes in length. Here is the link:

http://www.buist.org/david/Chaconne5.mp3

You can also compare this with the original version at:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3_2.html (David Buist - Orchestral Demo 2)

Comments on all aspects are welcome.

Re: New GOS orchestral demo

David, about the mix. The verb is wrong, it\'s too artificial. Especially on the brass which , btw, is way to loud, it scared me. The verb sounds too small, too thin, which makes the brass, IMO, a bit unattractive.
    The strings were played pretty realistically, though.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I have to agree with Alex here. The strings sound really nice, but the rest of the orchestra needs work! This highlights the problem when you have varying quality samples from different libraries. GOS just makes the rest of the orchestra sound very unrealistic IMHO.

Chris

Thanks Alex and Chris for your comments. I have uploaded a new version with the brass toned down a bit. Same link:

http://www.buist.org/david/Chaconne5.mp3

If even that sounds too scary [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , here are the strings by themselves:

http://www.buist.org/david/Chaconne5Stronly.mp3

This is an ongoing project, so there will no doubt be further changes. I am looking into different brass samples and reverbs.

Thanks again

Hi again,

The string work is excellent. I still feel it is being let down by the brass and the reverb.

Keep going. You\'ll get there!(maybe just need to spend loads of money on VSL or QLSO!!)

Chris

Just noticed you\'re in Japan!

Kinichiwa, hadjimemashta! Watashino oxan Nihongin-desu. (for those that don\'t understand, I\'m just saying hi and explaining that my wife is Japanese!)

Chris

Hi Chris

Please check your private messages (under \"my profile\").

Originally posted by ChrisAxia:
    Just noticed you\'re in Japan!

Kinichiwa, hadjimemashta! Watashino oxan Nihongin-desu. (for those that don\'t understand, I\'m just saying hi and explaining that my wife is Japanese!)

Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Chris - I\'m sorry .... I can\'t help but correct your Japanese [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hope you don\'t take offense!

Konnichi wa. Hajimema****e. Watashi no okusan wa nihonjin desu.

So, we have yet another Japanese speaking member of the forum! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For the benefit of both Mark and Chris, I should point out that you NEVER refer to your own wife as \"okusan\" in Japanese. This is an honorific term only used when refering to SOMEONE ELSE\'s wife. The correct term in this case would be \"tsuma\" (or \"kanai\"), so it should be:

Watashi no tsuma wa Nihonjin desu.
    私の妻は日本人です。

(In fact, you can dispense with the \"watashi no\", since \"tsuma\" already carries the implication of \"my\")

No offense intended. This is (supposed to be) a musical forum! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum